Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a question on a possible seized engine and I would love any input. I have 2015 Scrambler with just over 5k on her, the choke was left on by mistake for 45 minutes while ideling....it was a frigid morning. The motor began to smoke and was immediately shut off. As it would not start I changed the plugs, checked fuel and tried to jump her...nothing. A local bike mechanic picked her up yesterday and subsequently told me the engine is seized and I can either sell it for parts or look for a used scrambler engine. I’m having trouble believing the motor could melt down so quickly, especially as I saw no loss of oil. It is essentially a new and beautiful bike so I would hate to sell for parts. Has anyone heard of this happening, should I take this guys word for it, he does seem to know likes pretty well...any advice greatly appreciated! Sp

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
If you left the bike idling on the sidestand for more than a few minutes you melted the oil pump gears which are plastic. On the sidestand the gears are not in the oil. I have seen this more than once. Your motor is toast.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
This is the wrong site for this query. You need to post this in the air cooled twins tech subforum. This site is for issues with the forum itself, not motorcycle related. As a guess, you may have a seized oil pump, not the engine. Repost and you will obtain experienced folks to help you out.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
letting an air cooled engine idle for 45 minutes risks overheating the engine as there is no air movement to take away the heat regardless if the choke is on or off

chances are as 1job posted, you have destroyed the two plastic gears that drive the oil pumps and possibly have seized it

clutch side cover will have to come off to check the gears then take it from there

Hedge, a former member did the same, resulting in the need for a complete engine rebuild. I think he detailed the event in the "other" forum

I dont know how long you can let these engines idle for without air movement, but I personally would draw the line at 15 minutes

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I dont know how long you can let these engines idle for without air movement, but I personally would draw the line at 15 minutes
I keep a big fan in the garage that I put on it when I have the motor running, for example for carb synchronization.

As I recall, Hedge's attempts to get to the bottom of his issues with the motor involved multiple mechanics and more work, aggravation, and money than the motor was worth, although I think that he eventually got it fixed. Then he sold it.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
The twin engines can be idled at factory spec idle speed for half an hour with no problems, but at fast idle for 45 minutes! That would be one hot engine and as has been said, melted oil pump gears are a likely cause of the seizure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a choke on a 2015. Thank you for the replies. I guess I now need to make the decision of either rebuilding the engine or trying to find one used...which comes with another set of complications.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
What you are referring to as a choke on your bike is simply a fast idle control even though your engine is fuel injected. Doesn't matter as far as your engine issues. If there was a true choke the engine would have stalled out probably before any damage could occur. On carb versions, the choke lever is an enrichment circuit. Dumps more fuel vs restricting air flow. Manufacturers should really stop using the term choke for modern bikes and cars. Just an aside. Sorry for your engine woes. Most fuel injected bikes have auto control over fast idle cold start up. I guess Triumph thought the lever was quaint like the dummy carb/throttle bodies. That, and the FI system is rather rudimentary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for all the advice, Pinwall has a crankcase available...I’ll need to check with my mechanic today and see the full diagnosis oon the engine. Would really like to salvage the bike if financially viable as it’s essentially new otherwise....Sp

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks again for all the advice, Pinwall has a crankcase available...I’ll need to check with my mechanic today and see the full diagnosis oon the engine. Would really like to salvage the bike if financially viable as it’s essentially new otherwise....Sp
Where are you located?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m based in Brooklyn and Connecticut, the bike is currently at a shop in Ct. and I’m waiting to hear from the mechanic today to see if it can be saved for a reasonable price. As mentioned, it is otherwise a new machine. Sp

·
Registered
362 Posts
I’m based in Brooklyn and Connecticut, the bike is currently at a shop in Ct. and I’m waiting to hear from the mechanic today to see if it can be saved for a reasonable price. As mentioned, it is otherwise a new machine. Sp
Damn. If you were closer, I have a line on an engine. Prob not worth shipping out there though.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I struggle to believe this could happen on a modern bike. I'm not doubting you but I'd have thought there would be a safety cut-out or similar. An old carb bike would have just stalled. Sucks to have a ruined bike for something so simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I take full ownership for the stupidity of leaving the choke engaged for 45 minutes but I never thought it would cook the engine, at most I assumed I fouled the plugs or something. Looking at a 3 grand rebuild or an engine replacement. The mechanic says there is literally nothing from the old engine to be salvaged. I may just have to walk away. I guess it’s worthwhile to contact Triumph even though a warranty expired?

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
I doubt Triumph would do anything even if the bike was under warranty. You basically left the engine running at a high idle with very little air flow to cool the engine and the engine oil. The oil pump gears are not metal and this issue of overheating the engine and melting the gears is well documented on this forum. The high idle lever is no different than opening up the throttle. It does not cause the mixture to go rich, which would have fouled the plugs and maybe have stalled out the engine. High idle lever, not a choke. You made a mistake, it happens.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Plastic oil pump gears inside an engine! Can somebody tell me the advantages of using plastic gears over metal please? I feel for anybody that loses an engine from over idle

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.