Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be mounting a "Mini-fender" from BellaCorse to my Bonnie soon. It comes with an LED cluster for a tail-lamp, and I was worried that it might not be bright enough. I hooked it up last night for a quick look at the resulting light, and it looks plenty bright enough, whew.....!

So, I'll be replacing the factory indicators with some lamps from off an FZ1/"Fazer". Though on the large side, they have a black housing that should blend in well for a look acceptable to me while retaining conspicuous signals that are safe and functional. I will be mounting the indicators from off the front of the FZ1, as they are wired to be used as running lamps as well.

My question is as follows:
Would you rather that the signals on the back of your bike (assuming that the lens is Red), be hooked up as permanent running lamps and signals....
- or -
as an additional set of brake lamps and signals?
:cool:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Option 1
Welcome to the forum ,whoever you are . :wink: :huh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hooked up regular front turn signals with AMBER lenses as running lights for the rear. It makes the bike MUCH more noticable at dusk and at night. The amber makes drivers go "huh, *** is that????".

I just unplug the wires when I go in for an inspection. I haven't been hassled by the cops in 4 states so far, and I've been running amber rear signals for 4 or 5 years. And if I ever was I'd just say "oh, it was like that when I bought it. It passed inspection, I wasn't aware there was any problem" and be on my way.

The added visability from amber running lights, while not strictly legal, is so great that it's worth the risk.

Charles.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I had similar legal misgivings about the flashing tail light modulator that I put on. I asked a couple of different policemen about them, and they both said that there is no way a cop would issue a ticket for using them on a bike.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I too used to run with amber running lamps on the BMW via my Kissan SignalMinder. Over 50,000 miles with my amber turn signals with no problems. I asked some CHP motorcops what they thought of it (a buddy is a CHP and we had lunch together), they said that I needn't worry.

Interestingly enough, the amber turn signals DO in fact make the back of your motorcycle more conspicuous with the two colors. From a distance however, it's NOT obvious that there are two different color lights..... but it's a BIGGER light source. Nothing wrong with THAT!

I'm thinking that the SUDDEN flash of two additional lamps signaling the application of one's brakes could be a viable option too. I'm undecided on which may be better of the two. Any reason why those three wired signals can't be wired to operate as all three (running lights, brake lights, AND signals)???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since it's opinions you seek, here is mine:

Synch them with the brakes, one can never have enough information about the fact that you are stopping.

·
Registered
264 Posts
option 1 universally speaking brake lights are red, don't wanna confuse them anymore than they already are, IMO.

mike :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts