Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm considering trading in my 1995 Thunderbird for a 2005 Sprint ST. I already looked around for common problems and it just seems to be the engine heat if I'm correct.

Also the dealer is asking $6600 for the bike and it has just over 21,000 miles on it. It seems like a lot. I also noticed a bolt was missing out of the clip ons and it seems to have an after market exhaust. He is also only willing to give me $2500 for my Thunderbird.

Is there any thing else I should be considering and is this price too much?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
O-

·
Registered
196 Posts
You didn't say where you are but I think that price is too high. I bought my '05 w/o oem hardbags but with a lot of other other accessories (sport bags, hugger, integrated rear light, genmar risers, tank bag, aero screen, heated grips, gel touring seat, second set of fairings, R&G sliders) with about 10k on it two years ago for $6800 (ebay).

Engine heat kit is easy to tell if you have it, easy to do if you don't.
Also check that warranty work has been done- rear suspension link bolt, not sure what else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can get another $1000, easily, by selling your bike yourself - use Craigslist. As for the price of the ST, I've been searching and that seems to be about what the bikes are going for on the market at the moment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi O-

I have an 08 sprint and love it. I believe 05-09 sprints are virtually the same. I have not noticed and engine heat problems on mine as of yet.

I also feel that $6500 for a 4 year old with 21k on it is a bit steep. If you can talk the dealer down and have them fix the clip ons, then maybe.

As far as the bike goes, if you are into sport bikes with a hit of touring flavor, then the ST is for you. If you're into touring and don't like the sport bike feel, don't get a Sprint.

What I was after was a sport bike with luggage-ability. The Sprint fills that bill wonderfully.

I hope this helps.

Klotz

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Ombestudio

it would be very helpful if you enter into your signiature your country and which state or region you live in.

WE are members from all over the globe here.:)

Good hunting for a Sprint.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just to let you know I paid 5900.00 used for my 2005 ST in 2007.

It had 8000 miles on it.

I bought it here in California.

Tim :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The missing bolt doesnt fill me with confidence. That is usually a sign of neglect.
The 05 models have a tendancy for vibration. I would also check the fairing bolts, especially the ones near the footpegs.

Does it have a full service history?

What make is the after market pipe and how does it run?

Has it been tuned properly? For example, some after market exhaust systems are designed to improve top end at the expense of bottom end revs. This makes the bike a real pain commuting if you have to rev it to 4000rpm everytime you take off.

How does it stack up to all the usual checks?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Iceman - You must have a good one, or a bike built on a Wednesday as the saying used to go.

I never really noticed the vibration on the ST until I owned a Daytona 675.

Its not excessive, but enough for me to give it a once over every few thousand k's and sure enough there are a few bolts needing a turn.

I have SW Motech brackets holding my V46 top box on and one of the bolts snapped inside the grab rail, all the others were loose. I replaced them all with stainless and diligently added locktight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the opinions and info. Sorry about some of the lack of info. To fill in... I'm in Buffalo, NY.

I had test ridden an 01 and the 05 on the same day. The 01 was all stock but no bags and seemed nice and smooth. The 05 seemed kind of rough. I thought it was because of the after market exhaust (I don't know what kind it is). I thought it wasn't tuned right and compared to the 01 it seemed to have some vibration.

Between the amount of miles, missing bolt, etc it does seem like too much money.

The guys over in the Thunderbird section think I should just buy the Sprint and Mod the hell out of the Thunderbird :)

Thank you for your suggestions,
O-

·
Registered
2 Posts
too high

yeah I agree that price is too high, I got a 2007 abs with 1k miles for $7500 last month here in Cali. This bike was basically brand new.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Geez in the US you guys get good deals on Sprints.

I sold my 05 Sprint in stock form for 9000.00 cdn last August. Last year the cdn dollar was work more than the US dollar as well at that time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts