Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fine people of triumphrat.net. I have just received my 03 tiger and I am looking for ideas for security devices. The bike will be locked in a shed at night, but I am looking for decent lock/alarms for during the day or whilst at work. Be mindful I am on a budget, or the misses will chew any one of my b**ls off, like she did when I bought the bike.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Budget kit is budget quality. Don't be taken in by Sold Secure or Thatcham approved markings and make the effort to buy something worthwhile. Seriously recommended is Almax kit - regularly far exceeds the capability of all competitors. Pricey, but worth it, and cheaper and more useful than any alarm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Foxee for the reply.
Have looked online for the Almax kit you mentioned and don't seem to see any of the usual online bike stores selling it. Any ideas were to purchase this kit?

Have looked at the sola alarm SLA807, the Acumen 902 alarm and the Acumen CAT3 alarm. Has anyone tried these alarms, feedback appreciatated.
Also looking for a decent lock or dick lock, any ideas?
Thanks again

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can't advise you on a dick lock :wink: But I have a couple of the Abus Vari disc locks and they're a fairly substantial piece of kit.

Chainwise, I can recommend "English Chain" chain with Abloy padlock. I think they're well over a hundred quid, but are also very, very solid indeed.

But ultimately, if somebody wants your bike enough, they will take it regardless :(

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I'm in a strange position!!! i'm some were between trade and a punter!!!,beleave me if you saw the hassle caused by alarms that the trade has,you wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!!, good quality padlocks through front and rear discs,and a big F.off chain and padlock though one of the wheels preferably to something,and as already been said if they want they'll take it,but haveing had two stolen,you can cut the odds down big time.

And if you've still got alarm in your head!!! spend money on one of those garden shed alarms they cost peanuts,the best alarm i(we) have ever had is out Golden Retriever,the last visit we had in the middle of the night she saved us big time!!.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats great guys for the advice. I am also of the opinion that if the half-inchers want my bike they will get it, but I'm am sure as hell going to make it extremely difficult for them. As well as the disc locks and chain, I'm going to put a anchor into the shed and change the standard five inch screws they give you for a set of eight inch barbed spikes that will be concreted in. Will also get an alarm for the shed. By the time the feckers get through the alarm and are hacking/picking all the locks, I will be coming up behind them with my shotgun and shovel. Still got some room left in the back yard for a few more bodies. :mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2006-11-13 18:59, pineygroveshop wrote:
Chain it to your woman.
Did that as well as tying the bike to the nuts of my two german shephards. :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On 2006-11-12 17:58, Foxee wrote:
Don't be taken in by Sold Secure or Thatcham approved markings and make the effort to buy something worthwhile.
I'm not sure why you say this - at least Sold Secure test the things they approve. And how else are you to know what is "worthwhile"?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would be inclined to look at RIDE magazine's tests. They have in the past shown Sold Secured items not to be of the best or top standard.

Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2006-11-23 11:35, Pansmiker wrote:
I would be inclined to look at RIDE magazine's tests. They have in the past shown Sold Secured items not to be of the best or top standard.

Paul
I agree with your statement Pansmiker. I work with young people in residential care and a eleven year old boy was bored one day and spent two minutes on my old Boss disc lock (Sold Secured tested and approved) with a paper clip and opened it! Nearly had a fit. :mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Blacktiger, for the vids, really interesting and bloody scary as well. It makes you think twice about your security for the bike.
Thanks again everyone for their replies - its been very helpful.
Dee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts