Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't afford to do the things that really need doing on my bike, I thought I'd catch up on the less important stuff. My seat got a couple holes in it a couple weeks back, and it's been getting rattier and rattier ever since:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what the bottom looked like from the factory:

Screwdriver to start pulling staples:

Scale for screwdriver:

Pliers to finish pulling staples:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good start:

Magnetic bowl for storing pulled staples. Yay for not stepping on used staples! (Note that this job is not covered in the service manual.)

About half an hour in. Rider foam is in a bit worse shape than I expected:

Especially up front!

More foam ugliness:

Vinyl sat on top and hit with a blow dryer for a bit. Not shown: light coating of spray adhesive between foam and cover:

More warming with hair dryer:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stapling begun!

More stapling:

Starting to look like a seat! The front is actually holding its shape vastly better than I expected:

Still more stapling:

Note that the staples are not going all the way into the plastic, and will require hammering later:

Almost there...

Staples hammered down:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stapling completed, just needs some finishing touches…

And done!

Production finished; passed off to QC...

…and installed!

We'll see how it holds up in use, put I'm pretty freakin' pleased with the initial results!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
24,360 Posts
Hey Kit that looks like a very nice job indeed, well done:bow

And that QA inspector looks like he / she wouldn't let anything inferior past!:D

Nice puddy tat:)

Where did you acquire the vinyl?

cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Dave. :D Yeah, that's Johnny; he ain't easy to please! I bought a couple yards of vinyl at a fabric store in Brooklyn back in 2006, to fix the seat on my evil ex's Kawasaki 400. For under $10, I got enough to do the Kwak (twice, I think), this one, and at least one more. Big expense this time around was the $7 stapler from Harbor Freight. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Nice job, Kit.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Charlie. :)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
233 Posts
So, did you just recover the seat? Or did you do something with the old, crusty foam too?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Thomas. Jvswan, I put shiny, new, vinyl over the old, crusty, foam. :D Seriously, the old foam looks way worse than it feels, and I'm thinking it would've been a 50/50 proposition as to whether it would've been better or worse if I did anything to it. Add that to the fact that the $7 stapler put me $7 over budget, and I just left well enough alone.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
58 Posts
nice work kit , looks good as new. also i learned from a friend that sligthly sanding the top of the foam will bring new life to it and make it softer. but like you said it probably looks worse than it feels.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, man. :D If anything, I'd like it a little firmer. I was thinking about a gel pad, but I hear those heat up badly in the sun, and we have some of that here in Texas! They're also pretty pricey, and I don't think you can cut 'em to fit either.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, the cover job looks great. And, if the foam ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, y'all. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Very pretty Kit. Very pretty indeed :)