Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question, is there a way to remove the seat without the keys? I was working on the bike and had removed the seat cowling and after repairs were done, i went inside to eat and my wife had placed the seat back on the bike and it locked in place. my keys were in the storage part under the seat, now they are locked inside and i need to get them out without breaking the seat lock. if there is such a way.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Oh boy...I can't honestly think of any other way through there, but there is one! I know this because I found a mouse nest in there last week. I don't know how she got in, but obviously there is some small opening. Might not be big enough to pass a key through, but maybe something like a screwdriver that could move that seat latch. I'm not sure, but I wonder if you could get something in through the sight hole for the coolant? That may have been the mouse entry point on mine.

Keep your keys in your pocket from now on:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no doubt, i cant believe that it happened. I had not intended for the seat to be put back on yet and well it was replaced and by the time I had gotten back out to the garage it was too late. thanks for the help. I am going to go through the undertail with a fine tooth comb after work to see if there is a small hole, I am thinking I might have to make one and I really do not want to do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i believe that I am going to have to do just that. I dont want to go through this again lol. I was able to get my keys with no issues, well minor discomfort but other than that I am good, now. I had both of my keys on the same ring. fixed that right away.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Not a problem for us with 1050s. It's such a pita removing and replacing the seat you have to Want to do it...

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Err not all 1050's......................if you have a GT!:D

We got the keylocked seat again like the 955's used to have:)

DaveM
UUUGGHHH you don't have to rub it in! I didn't even realize that. I'm thinking of getting a Corbin seat just to get the key. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up putting a flat tip screw driver through a hole in the pan underneath and pushing the latch over allowing the seat to unlock. I am not sure if the hole that I used is a prefab hole or if it was from the previous owner. I bought my bike used, so the hole was pre-existing. I hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts