Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 T100. Just went to use the seat removal tool (aka hex wrench) located under the right air box cover, only to discover it's a 5mm and the seat retaining bolts take a 6mm hex! Not a problem when working in the garage, but out on the road this is a killer if you need to remove the seat for any reason.

I'd replace it with an extra 6mm if have lying around except the hole and bracket for the provided tool is sized precisely for a 5mm hex.

Anyone else have this same problem? I searched the archives and didn't find any mention of it.

I've been thinking about getting the extended seat bolts from newbonneville in any event, but I have a high sissy bar on order and I don't know if the extended bolts will work with the sissy bar setup. Does anyone know if they are compatible? Thanks.

Cheers!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had the same problem on my 07. I went to the hardware store and got two longer phillips screws and jam nuts...worked great. I eventually sprung for the NB screws.A worthwhile investment except you have to really keep an eye on the tightness, I lost three due to vibrations:eek:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Those extended screws are on my list of stuff I need/want to get - a list that keeps getting longer...now if only discretionary funds would track with it...:cool:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
WOW... a retro post. This problem goes back to the very first days of the modern Bonneville.

The M6 buttonhead bolts from your seat were swapped with the buttonhead bolts on your mirrors. A very common mistake when dealers set-up the bike.

Black bolts for the mirrors and silver bolts for the seat.

/Mike

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Surprised you didn't find anything in the archives about this as it has come up numerous times before. You will probably find that the "seat removal tool" fits the screws that hold your mirrors on. If this is the case, your dealer used the seat screws to mount the mirrors and vice versa when they prepared the bike for you. I wonder if it's the same dealer that keeps doing it? Perhaps someone should tell him! Obviously you can just swap the screws over or, preferably, get some of the tool-free seat bolts. You should check the tool-free bolts periodically as they can work loose and get lost. I doubt if you will have a problem using them with a sissy bar, but as I don't have one I can't be sure of that.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Seat

Any way you look @ it that is the sorriest way of mounting a seat I have EVER had on ANY bike I ever had!! I just got a cheap Chinese scoot to get to the bONNE garage & around town errands, grocery etc.. That has a REAL NICE hinged/ locking seat that makes the Bonne look more like the Chinese bike!! Its also more comfortable & better looking!!
I love the Bonne but I have hated the seat mounting since day 1! Come on- they coulda done better than that?? The ext from NB look good & I think I just ordered some? The alum knobs replacement - be care full they cross thread REAL easy!!

·
30,180 Posts
I have a vague idea in mind that might work, but given what it involves I don't think it is a very "manufactureable" idea - ie I don't think anyone would buy it - the fitting will take too much work. Generally a retro fit has to be bolt on for people to be interested in forking over cash for - still, I'll have a fiddle over winter and see what's what.

At the very least the locating tongue will have to come off the front of the seat, and that will put a lot of folks off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for letting me know about the mistake in installing the seat bolts and mirror bolts! I'm out working on the bike this morning and will swap them out. And also look into the extended seat bolts for easier removal.

I'll also mention this to my dealer so they get it fixed. They've been selling a lot of Bonnies lately so there are probably a lot of us on the road down here in Houston with the same issue.

Sorry I missed the archived posts. Obviously didn't search carefully enough.

Brent

·
30,180 Posts
It doesn't hurt that questions get asked multiple times. If you find the answer in a search that's great, but if an issue gets raised again - what the heck?

Well, I went and gave the bike a coat of looking at, and putzed around with a few ideas for a hingeing system on the seat.

I came up with a couple of ideas, but to be honest, they are not that great, and while they would work, would be such a pain to implement that you're better off sticking with just bolting the seat on, as others already said.

I carry a ball ended driver with me, which makes getting the seat off a piece of cake, so I'll stick with that.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have the extended seat bolts and the Triumph sissy bar doesn't get in the way of swapping the seat. Mind you, I take the sissy bar on and off more than the seat so I had to think about it.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I went to Lowe's and bought some long bolts that fit just right. They are long enough to stick out from under the seat, with lock washers and blue loctite I haven't lost any. They are ALOT cheaper then the commercially available ones.

·
Registered
48 Posts
WOW... a retro post. This problem goes back to the very first days of the modern Bonneville.

The M6 buttonhead bolts from your seat were swapped with the buttonhead bolts on your mirrors. A very common mistake when dealers set-up the bike.

Black bolts for the mirrors and silver bolts for the seat.

/Mike
indeed ! i had the same problem with my bike!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hinge thoughts

It doesn't hurt that questions get asked multiple times. If you find the answer in a search that's great, but if an issue gets raised again - what the heck?

Well, I went and gave the bike a coat of looking at, and putzed around with a few ideas for a hingeing system on the seat.

I came up with a couple of ideas, but to be honest, they are not that great, and while they would work, would be such a pain to implement that you're better off sticking with just bolting the seat on, as others already said.

I carry a ball ended driver with me, which makes getting the seat off a piece of cake, so I'll stick with that.
Prop,
How about a hinge on the front of the seat to replace the lock down tab. Then the seat would come up after the back is released with a lever. That could be easily converted to a "bolt on" aftermarket kit. With a few easy mods.
Just a stray thought zinging through all the synapses that are still functioning.
I'll go out to the shed later and see if any more inspirations show up....lol...
koi

1 - 20 of 35 Posts