Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I don't have my manual yet but I thought I would tackle changing the battery myself without it. Ha Ha. How the heck do you get the seat off of this thing?

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Mr bugteeth1

Also welcome to the forum.:)

Have you been lurking a while or just found us now?

There is something Don (dolson) and I ask all noobs.
That is to please read our forum stickies as it gives you a good idea how we run this place.

We are a little different to some forums and you will find this a user friendly and helpful place if you don't mind sticking to a few simple rules.:)

cheers, enjoy the forum.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I just purchased the bike this past summer. Thanks for the heads up on the seat, saved me some headaches.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
bugteeth1,

In the interest of key integrity, it is usually helpful to press down on the rear of the seat while turning the key.

Makes it much easier to turn; the key will thank you for it.

pr

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
bugteeth1,

In the interest of key integrity, it is usually helpful to press down on the rear of the seat while turning the key.

Makes it much easier to turn; the key will thank you for it.

pr
I never need to do that and my key has turned easily for 4 years of all year round riding.
I do keep the release mechanism well lubed though.

I guess maybe in different climates the thing could get stiff and pushing on the seat would take some pressure off the release mechanism though.:)

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I never need to do that and my key has turned easily for 4 years of all year round riding.
I do keep the release mechanism well lubed though.

I guess maybe in different climates the thing could get stiff and pushing on the seat would take some pressure off the release mechanism though.:)

DaveM,

Mine does, too. Yet another application of DuPont Dry Lube.

But I've seen several that were rather sticky. "Ounce of prevention", and all that. I'd guess getting another key would be expensive!

pr

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Seat Pressure

I have two seats after my friend damaged his 'coccyx' on a weekend run in France as my pillion. I got a gel touring one from Triumph-ant.

My standard one needs no pressure to release or latch, but the touring one needs a little pressure on the rear. It appears to do with the curve in the plastic base lifting the seat pin away from the latch. This also needs some pressure to help it release as well.

I am surmising that since the seat wants to spring upwards, but is retained by the pin in the latch that this applies some upwards pressure to the latch and prevents it moving easily.

I don't think it has anything to do with my repositioning the lock on the back mudguard!!

Rexx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts