Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or had there seat re sculpted. I was thinking of having a bit of the foam reshaped/removed from the front part of the seat so I can reach the ground easier and a little in the rear part so it doesn't push you so far forward.
Has anyone bothered with this or just ordered a new seat from corbin or sargent. Basically I can get this done in one day by an upholsterer or a week or two to get a new seat delivered to Oz.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi,

I have also been busy researching this topic. I'm short, at 5'4" (~165cm), and have just purchased an '07 s3. I find I have to sit over to one side to get the ball of my foot on the ground.

I am having the suspension lowered slightly (which i'm likely to set back to stock once I get used to the bike).

I would also like to sculpt the seat to get a bit closer to the ground. I've been in touch with Sargent, and they can make a custom seat, that will be slightly lower.

As far as modifying the stock seat goes, i've been told by an upholsterer that it will be difficult to make it much "lower", but it can possibly be narrowed a bit

I am also eager to hear other peoples experiences with this.

Cheers,
Jonty

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have re-shaped my seat, I cut it down about 1.5"

Use a long hack saw with the blade turned on its side.

I used a belt sander with fine grit on low to sand and shape... Be very careful to not gouge the foam.
If you do gouge... put a light dab of contact cement or grip glue in the hole, and use some of the sanded foam dust to fill, Layer it up until even - Let it dry before sanding!

You can also use a sheet of sand paper taped to a tall spray can to shape and smooth.

The sanding takes a long time, I spent 2 hours on sanding.

You will need a powerful stapler to fasten the cover back down... Corbin uses rivets.

Another option is, Buy a Corbin, Their seat is claimed to be 1 inch lower.
I bought one and didn't notice a difference.
Other than looks, I like my cut down seat better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've actually done this with success and had even posted a step-by-step quite a while ago. Here it is again, hope it helps...

The worst that can happen? You get another seat for 100-200.

You'll need:
<ul>
[*]1 long hacksaw blade ($1.30)
[*]1 fine sandpaper ($1.00)
[*]pack of 1/4" staples ($2.50)
[*]really powerful electric staple gun ($0.00 - after you return it to store)
[*]aerosol can or any similar cylinderical object
[*]ruler, pen, screwdriver, etc.
[/list]
Notes:
- Electric knife is not a good idea for this seat, unless you can find one that's longer than the seat's width.
- Trimming from the bottom of foam would be much more challenging as it's perfectly sculpted to shape of seat base.
Procedure:
<ul>
[*]Remove the staples holding the front half of the cover.
[*]Pull cover back & reveal the foam.
[*]Carefully measure & mark your cut lines. Note varying foam thickness in different areas. Pay attention to symmetry. Allow 1/2 cm for further trimming with sandpaper, and remember that you can always trim more foam but can not add it back on.
[*]Secure seat on flat surface. (Floor works fine.)
[*]Enter with blade from the front of seat and start slicing with maximum side to side motion, making sure blade ends are following the marked lines on both sides of seat. Do not rush the cut so you can monitor and correct as you go. It's also critical to avoid bending the blade. If you exit before the exit mark, don't worry. Multiple slices are OK as long as symmetrical and smooth.
[*]Once your rough cut is complete, wrap the sand paper around a tall, fat spray can and tape all edges. Blend in and smooth out any blade marks, sculpt seat edges, and perfect all curves. Remember to keep everything symmetrical. Avoid working locally, use wide motions.
[*]Put the seat on the bike, your butt on the seat. Note any pressure points, bumps, or any areas that can be improved.
[*]Go back and sand some more to fix those. Repeat as necessary.
[*]Staple the cover back on tight, and trim the excess.
[/list]
Below: the rough cut.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hairball and S3xspeedx have some good ideas. I'm cheap and 6'-2" tall so I reshaped mine also. I used an electric knife to first take the bulk of foam off where I needed to. I then used a 4" angle grinder to get the final smooth shape. You 'must' be careful with the grinder. Hold it so that the spinning direction of the wheel will have a tendency to pull the grinder 'away' from you and not pull it into the foam. Practice on something else thats soft first, and take only a 'small amount' off with each pass. I've done mine 3 times now as I didn't want to take too much off too soon. It's easier to take more off than put some back on!
Another thing. The round shape of the 4" wheel is perfect for contouring the back portion of the seat cup shape. I needed to take some off that area to help move my butt rearward. I also flattened mine for more comfort. I used a heavy duty stapler and 1/4" staples from Home Depot to restaple the cover on. You must hold the stapler 'tight' against the seat before pulling the trigger. I follow up with a small hammer tapping the staples all the way in. Heating up the cover first helps when stretching it before stapling it.
I would first try flattening the front portion and then slowly round off the sides of the front section to help your legs drop down more. Easy does it! Mine is all day comfortable now. :razz:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lom has some great ideas too! Don't know why his post didn't show up before I posted mine?? :???: I used an electric knife on mine for getting the bulk of the foam off, but you must sand it smooth afterwards, slowly and softly so you won't tear the foam. It had a pretty long blade so I could easily cut most of the way across the seat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lom, the seat mod looks great! Also, I was wondering where you got your tank bra. I need one and I like the look of yours.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The tank bra is part of the Triumph tank bag. (which I used to love until my trip to Laguna Seca)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lom, your seat resculpting looks great!

Looks like you cut out a fair bit, any idea how much (1.5cm, 2cm)?

Is it comfy?

Thanks,
Jonty

·
Registered
130 Posts
The story of the bag is here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=54276&forum=19

Might as well post the link to Laguna Seca pics again...
http://www.sunnyphotography.com/features/MotoGP

Jonty, I think you're guessing right, around 1.5-2 cm, but even that much does make a difference. As for comfort, I can't say it's improved but doesn't feel worse either. Softness-wise, I can't feel any difference. For me, the trouble with this seat is the upwards slope at the front, and that was already there.

[ This message was edited by: Lom on 2006-11-23 10:46 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts