Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum, I promise.

Our recently acquired '98 TBS has what appears to be a Tbird seat stapled onto the TBS seat pan. It looks...odd. My better half is looking for a stock TBS seat to replace it with but I was wondering what other options are out there? A solo seat would be divine but I gather that they're scarce to nonexistant. I was thinking about just sending the TBS pan to Sargent in FL & having them make up something.

Also, anyone know if any of the aftermarket Bonnie stuff will work on the TBS? I was specifically thinking about the shortened rear fender.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nina

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sending that seat to Sargent is perhaps the best choice. TBS solo seats are expensive and hard to get. With money you put to buy other TBS standard seat you can get seat you like from Sargent.

Many people here have hacked their rear fender, it is easier than trying to fit Bonnies fender.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Our recently acquired '98 TBS has what appears to be a Tbird seat stapled onto the TBS seat pan. It looks...odd.
Any chance of a picture?

No in general, Bonnie stuff wont fit - at least not without staples ;)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Most people have good things to say about Sargent including me!

They were easy to work with and the quality is excellent!:)

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
From t'other side of the pond...

There's these from Triumphant in Wales...

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/seats.html

He's got the red TBS/Tbird keylock type on ebay uk just now at £165 (exchange).

Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are the best! :)

Sending that seat to Sargent is perhaps the best choice. TBS solo seats are expensive and hard to get. With money you put to buy other TBS standard seat you can get seat you like from Sargent.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus less of a headache than trying to track down the correct seat.

Many people here have hacked their rear fender, it is easier than trying to fit Bonnies fender.
We have a friend that cut down the rear fender on his TBS and it looks fantastic. We'll probably go that route but I found a place that has the Sixty8 shortened rear fender for the Bonnie for around 70$ so I was hoping.

Any chance of a picture?
Actually, the completed ebay auction is still up, along with a bunch of pics. The seat looks vaguely slug like, especially up close:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-Thunderbird-Sport-Triumph-Thunderbird-Sport-900_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a13Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120401952298QQitemZ120401952298QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

No in general, Bonnie stuff wont fit - at least not without staples ;)
That's what I was afraid of. I had forgotten what a pain it was to get bits for my '98 T509 even when it was new. Trying to customize the TBS 10 years on is going to be an adventure.

Most people have good things to say about Sargent including me!
They were easy to work with and the quality is excellent!:)
I dealt with Sargent about 8 years ago when I contacted them about them making a lower seat for my T509. We worked out what I wanted, I sent them the seat & when they received it they told me that it wasn't going to work, that I'd be no better off than with the stock seat. They could easily have done what I wanted & taken my money. I appreciated their honesty...OK, I was thrilled by it. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them.

There's these from Triumphant in Wales...

http://www.triumph-ant.co.uk/seats.html

He's got the red TBS/Tbird keylock type on ebay uk just now at £165 (exchange).
Very cool! But, ouch, around 300$ US before shipping.

Good to know that they're out there, though. My better half has a Corbin seat on his '95 Speed Triple and it looks gorgeous but the seat itself isn't waterproof. So if he parks it in the rain or we go camping the seat needs to be covered unless you want a cold, squishy wakeup when you go to start the bike.

Regardless, Sargent seems like a sound way to go. And I'm glad to still be hearing good things about them.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

Nina

·
Registered
43 Posts
TBS Seats

Nina -

I don't know how it would affect female riders but, based on my experience, don't waste your time looking for a original equipment TBS seat (I have one in the attic but I'm saving it in case the next owner, if there is one, wants to be "original"). Half an hour was about my limit on that thing (the frontal wedgie was the worst). Since my wife rides with me much of the time, I got the Triumph King and Queen seat. Yeah, I'll admit that it looks a little funky on the TBS but we're both comfortable for more than an hour at a time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know how it would affect female riders but, based on my experience, don't waste your time looking for a original equipment TBS seat (I have one in the attic but I'm saving it in case the next owner, if there is one, wants to be "original"). Half an hour was about my limit on that thing (the frontal wedgie was the worst). Since my wife rides with me much of the time, I got the Triumph King and Queen seat. Yeah, I'll admit that it looks a little funky on the TBS but we're both comfortable for more than an hour at a time.
Thanks, Cap'n. I appreciate the insight. I don't think that "comfort" is snyonymous with any of the stock Triumph seats :). What we're going to need is a kind of unisex seat on this beast. The TBS is going to be hooked up to a sidecar and, ideally (if I don't prove to be too thick) we'll both be driving it. It does look like the TBS doesn't have the same angle of squish that the Speed Triples do, though.

Nina

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Stock TBS seats do come up from time to time on Ebay, should you decide to try a stocker. Yes, that current seat looks nasty - it does indeed appear to be a 1999 on TBird cover!

I'm pretty sure I have a slightly messed with 1996 TBird seat in my boxes in the basement from a previous incarnation of my bike - should be very easy to make it fit the TBS and it would look "right" - lemme know if you are interested and I'll dig it out. Can't remember how I messed with it - probably moved the lock pawl (easily changeable), my memory will probably be jogged when I see it.

Here is an old pic of my bike with it on:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ugh, the seat looks almost decent in the pictures in comparison to what it looks like up close.

Mick that's very kind of you but I couldn't, in good conscience, send you into the basement. If it's anything like ours you might not come back out again.

I think that since the pan is the correct TBS pan we're better off having the seat made up by Sargent. I'll be keeping an eye on ebay anyway, for TBS parts (my apologies to every other TBS owner scouring ebay for parts).

BTW- your bike is lovely.

Nina

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
BTW- your bike is lovely.
Thanks!

Hopefully you meant now, not then.... I thought it was ugly then... well some... I just had to take the ugly out. :D

Just in case you did mean back then - here is the now:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know, Mick, I did mean then. Then I took a look at the pictures thread at the top of the page and...wow! The bike looks incredible. Amazing job.

Nina

1 - 14 of 14 Posts