Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Seat lock issue

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  brgsprint 
#1 ·
OK, I'm afraid to twist the key too hard as it might bend or break. :mad:

Watched the previous owner demo the unlatch and removal of the seat but I'll be danged if I can get the seat unlatched and off.

What's the trick? Is there a specific spot on the stock seat that I need to push down on while twisting the key? I'm holding my tongue in the left side and trying to be friendly to the bike but that's not working.

Any help and/or sympathy would be appreciated. TIA...

Monte

#3 ·
Crc

mine turns easily so it would seem that either your mechanism is tight OR seat latch is not easily engaged and so is stuck in. Without seat on, CRC mechanism and make sure cable moves easy with key. If it does then, with seat on, does it work easy when seat is pushed down? If so then why is seat sitting high?

#5 ·
same, same! I recently purchased a used 99' 1200 with two seats and many manuals. Attempting to change seats, I read the manuals which stated "pressure at the rear of the seat". Hogwash!!

The key only turns around 30 degrees counter-clockwise and you LIFT the rear of the seat. That must be the kings English ;)

I feel your pain, I felt doubly stupid for reading the manual <00>

#6 ·
Hi, you can get this problem with lack of maintanance. It's best to keep the cable and key lock, clean and well lubed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light

#7 ·
There is a thick washer on the notched latch post under that seat. The washer hardens and doesn't compress easily to take pressure off the latch. Punching the seat pops the latch loose. On the seat that has to be lifted while turning the key, I think that washer has been removed or replaced with a thinner one.

#11 ·
I just had this problem today. The key was not turning at all, and I was worried that if I tried too hard, I would just shear it off. What finally worked for me was this: By pulling up on the side/rear of the seat on the rider's left side, I was able to locate a black cable. Pulling on this triggered the latch and I was able to remove the seat. What I found was that the key triggers the cable which pulls a latch at the rear end of the seat.

#12 ·
You can try sitting on the pillion part of the seat with the kickstand down. Carefully ease your way back from the rider position and put your feet on the pillion foot pegs. Sit there for a little while and let the seat base underpinnings conform a bit to your body weight. Then gently bounce yourself on the seat right over the latch. After a few bounces I got that satisfying click of the latch.

#13 ·
A friend once called me at work from his office in Manhattan to ask my trick for getting the seat latch to release on my Triumph. I explained the process to him over the phone. He had been watching someone parked at the street try to get the latch to release for quite some time. My friend strolled up to the Triumph, put pressure on the key and punch down on the middle of the seat, smile at the guy and walk back into his office.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.