Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking at picking up a seat cowl for my '95 Speed Trip. My big question is; will a factory seat cowl fit a corbin seat? Anyone know if they are compatible?

Also, I'm guessing that the seat cowls from Sprints / Daytona's of the same era are the same thing. Is this true?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Corbin won't take a cowl. Sprint, Trident, and Trophy seats won't either, though they can be made to. The cowl (and the seat to take it) was for Speed Triples and Daytonas.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
176 Posts
The cowling really gives it a old school cafe look IMO.I just installed some grommets for the mounting holes on the custom seat I bought on ebay,I'll post pics soon.You could trim the foam on the Corbin with an electric turkey knife and re-cover in leather.Corbins are usually vinyl.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it sounds like I have two options if I want to run a seat cowl:
1) locate a used seat and cowl which to me seems like it may be tough to find.
2) have a local shop trim the foam on the corbin and install grommets.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Tim I bought a grommet gun a local fabric store for $15 with an assortment of grommets.If you find a cowl you could certainly poke a hole through the Corbin to get the mounting screw through but pressure over time may widen the hole.Of course you would have to trim some of the foam from the back section.
There is an instructional on the web,haven't seen it in a few years, but showed how to reshape stock seat(another brand) with turkey trimmer and staple gun to re-cover.
This isn't the one but nice write-up.May have a go at on myself.I'll still have to have someone re-sew the cover, as I couldnt sew a button on.
http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle/ninja/seat/
Here's a great site,
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
So it sounds like I have two options if I want to run a seat cowl:
1) locate a used seat and cowl which to me seems like it may be tough to find. <...>
Keep in mind it's the cowl that's hard to find, not so much the seat.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts