Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shifted my weight back and the seat nearly slipped right off the bike while doing about 50. I guess i have a reason to buy those tool-free seat bolts now; and another box on the pre-ride checklist..

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same problem,the seat bolts and the side covers.I thought about using the tool free bolts,but I wasn't sure if you could unscrew them after loctite blue.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I lost one too, ordered a new set from Newbonneville and they included some lock washers with them. I haven't had a problem since. (Still check them often though.)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The "tool-free" finger turn bolts come with a couple of small lock washers. Haven't lost them. Did lose one on the Tbird but that was before I figured out that a lock washer costs a penny and might be a good investment. I still give them a little twist every time I ride, but, so far, they've stayed tight.

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
On 2006-12-17 19:41, WineWomenSong wrote:
I shifted my weight back and the seat nearly slipped right off the bike while doing about 50. I guess i have a reason to buy those tool-free seat bolts now; and another box on the pre-ride checklist..
The tool free bolt fall out easier. I've gone through about 4 pair now........use the stock bolts, carry an allen wrench in you pocket, and tighten up before each ride......

[ This message was edited by: Thunder_Forever on 2006-12-18 09:22 ]

·
Registered
421 Posts
My tool frees worked well, for a bit... The right side slightly hit the cowling on the seat and rubbed (no damage though). This was overlooked until I tried to remove the bolt this weekend to do some clean up work. The left side worked tool free, the right would not budge. Not sure if the touch to the cowling caused the bolt to tighten, or bent the bolt... Regardless when I tried to remove, it snappped off at the threads. Had to drill it out... Will be replaced with either the stockers or the new ones from newthruxton<dot>com.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i lost mine to, the tool free ones i think its my fault tho because i had the Set off and probably dropped the lock washers, also the screws fell out of the directional side brackets and i changed my back tire and the bolts that hold
the centerstand together were falling off, just some thing to keep your eye on

·
Registered
835 Posts
Someone had a picture of a easily removable pin they got from JC Whitney once. It kind of was like a cotter pin sort of thing if I remember correctly...a good idea nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I've had the tool free seat bolts on for almost two years now. I don't use locktite and they have never come loose. The trick is to make sure the lockwashers are on.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The extended seat bolts are the best. Easy to check and thread in far enough to give you a chance. It's hard to check the stockers. Knurled side cover screws are nice, but you really have to make sure you tighten them down all the way and check them EVERY trip.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Be aware that if you have the U-shaped mounting rail for the sissy bar or grab bar, you'll have a hard time getting your fingers in there. I have the short extended bolts, but I use a long 5mm hex screwdriver to turn them.

I put some adhesive heat-shrink tubing on the screwdriver where it comes in contact with the side of the tail light. This makes it easy to remove and install the bolts without scratching the tail light housing. It's not quite a straight shot into the hex head of the bolt because the tail light's in the way, but it's close enough to grab it.

I can tighten them enough with the screwdriver that I haven't had any problems with loose screws, but they never go more than a month or two before I swap the seat again. (I change seats when I ride with a passenger.)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I've been running the extended 'tighten by hand' seat bolts for the entire 2006 riding season. One thing I've found helps keep them in place is ......... once you think they're tight, continue to tighten them while rocking the saddle up and down. On my bike, anyway, when I do this, the bolts generally tighten up another quarter turn. To date, (12,000 miles later) I still have the original bolts.

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
What are you blokes doing with the seat bolts.Stock bolts,no lock washers/goo,tighten em up a bit with a long(home made)Allen key,50.000k never had a problem.
Lucky or what?
Macca.
:nana:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Not using stock bolts because I didn't want to carry an Allen key. The custom bolts I use don't have Allen key fixtures. Still hanging onto my first set of seatbolts, though have a few kilos to go to catch up with you.

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
What are you blokes doing with your bolts??
Use the stock bolts,do em up with a long allen key.no spring washers or goo required.Just nip em up nice and tight and you will be grinning like a cat licken***** off a thistle.
Macca. :-D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Tightening them is just a routine. I have several aftermarket items on the bike who's nuts/bolts tend to back-off - the helmet lock is a particular PITA - about once a week I go around the whole bike tightening things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.