Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the yellow Sears lift. Plan on changing front springs to Hagon, new oil,gators, super brace. My question is since I will be removing most of the front end-wheel,forks and mudguard. wher do you find the correct balance point so that the compnents removed the bike stays balanced on the lift

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I just did this this morning. Set the jack as far back as it will go on the frame. Leave the front wheel on the ground while you loosen up the axle, and remove the caliper. Strap the bike down front and rear, too. Its a bit spooky, but it won't go anywhere.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you make sure the nubs for the center stand sit squarely on the on side of the jack, you will have no problems. That thing is pretty rock solid.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
once you take that front end off the weight will be heavily balanced toward the rear, and the bike will want to tilt.

Best thing to do is to get the bike high enough to pull out the front axle then remove the wheel/tire/etc.

Then lower the jack down as low as you can, maybe all the way down if I remember correctly, and pull the front fender, then slide the forks out one at a time (remove the caliper etc). If you slide the forks out one at a time it will hold the headlight brackets etc in place. It an be a pain to get all that stuff back together if you yank both forks at the same time, but it's not too bad.

Do 'em one at a time and it's an easy job. 2-3 hours tops.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jim,

I like to jack Bonneville's up from the LH (clutch) side. If you have a centerstand, raise the bike up on it first. If not, I support the bike vertical with my left hand on the left hand grip and raise the side stand. Then with my right hand I roll the jack stand under the bike and position the LH pad (as viewed from the jack handle) directly below the engine's crankshaft (draw a line straight down from the centerline of the pistons). That should position the jack's RH pad just in front of the side stand's spring post under the frame. If the post is resting on the pad, the bike will wobble.

Also, you really don't have to raise the bike all that much to remove and replace the front wheel. Once the front wheel is off, you can carefully lower the bike so the rear tire is on the ground and the bike will be less tippy back-and-forth.

/Mike

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Jack it up and put support under the back wheel, e.g. cinder block, bricks, wood, whatever you have handy. Then let it down a bit so that the wheel is resting on the support, then no worries about removing the front wheel.

Be careful when you release the lift to lower the bike. It's a very fine line between a gentle down and a fast drop. Release it very slowly.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sears Jack

I always put the jack under the right side (throttle) till it hits the side stand. Then pump it up till it levels (holding the grip). Up to where you need. I leave the side stand down in case the pump should let go as the bike would land on the tires & stay up w/ the stand down (theoritacaly?) Sounds like you all got the rest covered. These things are great arent they?? Got mine free from the trash & Sears gave me a new pump free. Its still warantied for life now! Pretty good deal huh?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
any photo's ?

I also have the Sears yellow (light weight) lift - a quality item that's makes maintenance on the Triumph's so much easier. Last time I swapped out the front fork springs, I spent some time trying to find the centre of balance - acknowledge it wasn't easy. Some photos next time one of you lads puts your lady up on the lif would be helpful... :eek:

·
Registered
80 Posts
These jacks look like a good deal because they're cheap. I wouldn't even consider lifting my bike off the ground with Chinese machinery though. The first time one of these breaks in service, you'll lose the savings many times over.

·
Registered
257 Posts
These jacks look like a good deal because they're cheap. I wouldn't even consider lifting my bike off the ground with Chinese machinery though. The first time one of these breaks in service, you'll lose the savings many times over.
I second that. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
they have locks on them so they can't collapse suddenly. However, if the seal blows while the bike is in the air you then got to figure out how to get it down.

If you go the the Sears site and read the reviews for the different models you wil see that the basic red/black model has-had an issue with the seal blowing causing it to fail.(Xchoppers seems to be working just fine)
The Yellow one has a better rating.
The yellow one does have what I consider to be a majer design flaw though. It is a box design instead of an H type platform. Makes it a bit difficult to position it exactly where you want it.
[it doesn't help that I use a oil filter (m-110 VS m-108) that sits slightly below the frame rails].

I have the yellow light weight model and I like it. plenty stable and solid construction.
(even though these carry the "Craftsman" name they DO NOT have a lifetime warrenty. Warrenty is 1year)

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you go the the Sears site and read the reviews for the different models you wil see that the basic red/black model has-had an issue with the seal blowing causing it to fail.(Xchoppers seems to be working just fine)
That's good info. to have :eek:. Did they say what years were affected? My Sears lift is almost 7 years old now and and although it doesn't look new like it did in the photo, it still works fine. I have used it a lot. :D

·
Registered
648 Posts
the basic red/black model has-had an issue with the seal blowing causing it to fail.(Xchoppers seems to be working just fine)
Thanks! Good info. to have! Did they say if only certain year jacks were affected by the seal problem? My lift is almost 7 years old now and, although no longer appearing new as it did in the photo I posted, it still operates fine. :D

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Thanks! Good info. to have! Did they say if only certain year jacks were affected by the seal problem? My lift is almost 7 years old now and, although no longer appearing new as it did in the photo I posted, it still operates fine. :D
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P (bottom of page)
here is the links to all 96reviews. I only read the first 3 pages and they all say the same thing. I don't recall any mention of the years affected.
Also mentioned was that the Tee handle broke.

link for the yellow Aluminum one
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950191000P
click reviews near bottom of the page

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sears Jack

Funny- I got mine outa the trash (R&B one). It had a rusty seized bottle jack. I called Sears & they sent me a new one - No Charge!! It has worked flawlessly for 2 Bonne's & a Nightrain. The safety legs will protect against failure. I only lift the Bonne just hi enuff to get the wheels off the ground. If it fell @ that height- would be like hitting a good pothole!
Ill bet the jack hater-s here have center stands on their Bonne's?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Which one did you buy?

This is a good deal I almost bought on Black Friday but the reviews are pretty bad and I didn't want to risk it. Craftsman Motorcycle/ATV Jack Sears item# 00950190000 Mfr. model# 34612

The other ones are more expensive but better rated. Anyone want to weigh in with which one to purchase?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sears Jack

As said I didnt buy mine- found it in the trash. Its the R&B w/ llots of rust from laying in someones yard for many years. Since Sears sent me a new bottle jack (old frozen w/ rust)
it has been used by our garage group a LOT! It doesnt look real good- but has never failed. A broken T-handle? Never got that. Got A PIECE OF PIPE TO PUMP IT UP. The real drawback to this one is- It weighs a ton!! It takes 2 people to lift it! Rolls well around the garage on the steel castors. Maybe my old relic is built heavier than the new ones? I will haveto look. We all couldnt live w/o it! 1 garagemate scares the hell outa me- he puts his HD Nightrain up to the top (w/o legs) & details everything! I got this thing outa the trash & have told hiw to use the legs. He just says I worry too much? O well? This jack has to weigh 150 lbs +. Will have to check the new ones!

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
Which one did you buy?

This is a good deal I almost bought on Black Friday but the reviews are pretty bad and I didn't want to risk it. Craftsman Motorcycle/ATV Jack Sears item# 00950190000 Mfr. model# 34612

The other ones are more expensive but better rated. Anyone want to weigh in with which one to purchase?
Buy the aluminum model if finances permit. For starters it's light enough that you can carry it if need be, about 40 pounds. It's better-made and has gotten better reviews. It costs about twice as much as the cheaper model, but it does periodically go on sale.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
XChoppers, thx for the photo - looks like your garage is an aircraft hanger - lots of room for your toys.

I also did some research to ensure that whatever I purchased was reliable according to the masses. The yellow aluminium sears lift is not the basic version - more likely middle of the range for this type. Agree the roll ramp would be best but they need a lot of room. I wish I had purchased a lift years ago - after 22 years of servicing my bikes, its nice to actually lift the bike off the ground to work on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts