Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a pair of saddlebags for my Bonnie. But do not really have any idea. Are they more hassle than they're worth. Do they scratch paint? I confess I am clueless. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
They work great for carrying stuff. Much better than balancing it on my head, which looks funny as well.
If you have only a few things, the triumph fabric bags are great. They come with support rails, dont touch any paint, and have built in rain covers if needed. Larger bags are possible on the bonny, but take more thought to get it right, in looks and fitment. Triumph does sell larger leather bags, which are ok but thought to be expensive for what you get. The fabrics are a bit pricey, but fit work and look ok
G

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just put these on. Not the best pic because I just ran out and snapped it:

Got them from NewEnough. Not nearly big enough for touring (but larger ones are avail). Perfect for my daily commute to work though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What size are those?, I see they offer 3. Also, are you using any kind of mounting system behind them?
I really like the look of them.

Adam

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks. They are the smallest ones, the Meds. My mounting system is all of (2) $4 joist hanger/T-straps from Home Depot. Not the prettiest but they work. :razz: As long as the bags are on you can't see them and two allen bolts takes them off. If I get some extra $ I'll get some nice chrome rails but for less than 10 bucks what the he*l.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I recently added Tourmaster Cruiser II saddlebags, (slanted style, size "large"). IMO they fit really well. They don't cover the shocks and blend in nicely with the lines of the bike. Material quality also appears real good. For me, they are perfect for day-to-day running around. You may like larger ones for serious touring. This particular model is sized accordingly: 9.5”(H) x 15”(W) x 6”(D). I have Preds on, and the bags clear at the closest point by about 2". I now have a place to keep a rain suit, gloves, sun glasses, sun screen etc. I use the racks from NB to keep them secure, no problems with mounting the bags to them.

[ This message was edited by: Marde on 2007-06-27 20:21 ]

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
<A HREF="http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album959&id=aak&op=modload&name=Photo_Album&file=index&include=view_photo.php" TARGET="_blank">

</A>

Here are the larger Cortech bags on mine. You will need brackets for anything but the Cortech sportbags, but here's a link to an inexpensive saddlebag bracket solution: <A HREF="http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=81061&forum=51" TARGET="_blank">Saddlebag Support Mod for Triumph Grabrail

</A>

·
Registered
426 Posts
As you see in these posts there's quite a choice - which means there's really no good choice (apologies to others - I've got bags, won't bother say what, I'm happy but that's not the point) With most other bikes there's one specific item that works, is great, easy and standard. Take BMW for example - bags? done deal. And right, too. Lets face it, Triumph failed us when it comes to panniers on this bike.
My advice - get a range of small tank and larger tail bags. Easier, cheaper, more versitile.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Alright, what the heck:
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa212/Dinola/Bonnie Lights/
These are Saddlemen CruiseSlant Large (not Jumbo) with Thunderbike rails which you can't see. What I like about them is that they (barely) fit between the shocks and the turn signals so sit in close to the bike so its not so big in da butt.

The Thunderbike rails use the grabrail mounts and so the two are incompatable.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
You need to decide on leather versus fabric, and then what I would describe as cruiser-style versus more contemporary style. And you need to decide on size. I just got a pair of Cortech Sport Saddlebags from newenough.com, after seeing several photos here of Bonnies with them. I haven't ridden with them yet, but they mount very nicely on the bike, even with a solo seat, they seem to be made very well, rain covers are included, and they have that arrangement like a lot of luggage does whereby you unzip a zipper that runs around the bag and have an extra 4 inches of width. I'm running them with the MSR black rails from newbonneville.com. Also, they have neoprene on the backs of the bags to minimize any scuffing; although the only place where they make contact aside from the rails is the rear shocks. One thing to avoid is the Triumph leather saddlebags--numerous reports of them falling apart.

[ This message was edited by: badrufus on 2007-06-28 00:06 ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts