Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - another tech (?) question for the experts!
I'm polishing my alternator cover and noticed after removing it that there's some type of hard sealant around the rubber grommets (I guess you could call them) where the wires to the coil pass thru - when I put the cover back on with the new gaskets, would I have to remove and reseal these grommets or is this factory original? (the bike only has 1600 miles so this is the 1st & only time the covers have been off). Anyone got any idea what type of sealant it is? (It's light beige)
Cheers & Happy Thanksgiving to all at TriumphRAT
Steve

·
Registered
181 Posts
After polishing my covers (rocker/pri./alt.) with 300mi. on them I never even replaced the factory gaskets the one on the alt. cover broke in 2 places when I removed it.
I just put it back together with-
{Aviation-FORM-A-GASKET perimatex}
It is great for aluminum to aluminum sealing. 3,144 hard mi. now no leaks. I used to use this on my 1972 TR7 with no gaskets at all and it never leaked.
It is liquid with a brush applicator so you need to be careful not to use to much or let it run or drip inside the engine. allow it to set over night to cure and wala no leaky. :D

PS. you can get it at your local auto parts:cool:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys - I'll pick some up tomorrow.
I'll be putting a new gasket on as I'd already ordered one ahead of time anyway.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy way to hang a big gasket, get some 3/16" dowell, cut into 3" pieces, use as shown.

Redhawk
excellent advice - mine would otherwise been all mangled probably!:D
Do you put anything on the gasket or just bolt it all up dry?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm not a believer in gasket sealants, and am positively scared of silicone (RTV) as it squeezes out blobs of snot which, if they get loose, are guaranteed to foul an oil passage. I simply soak this kind of paper gasket with WD-40 to make it "squishable," then install and torque. I almost never get oil leaks.
There are places where sealants are called for, like where the wiring exits the alternator housing, but it should be used sparingly, and excess wiped off. The brushable sealants, like Halomar, are good for this.
The answer to an oil leak, IMHO, is rarely a sealant. Better to take it apart, clean the gasket faces carefully, and install a new gasket as above.
Redhawk

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
i use a product called "the right stuff". it was recommended to me by the mechanic that does all the work for British Customs. i used it when i took my clutch cover off to replace the clutch springs with stiffer ones.

whenever i take off an engine cover i always replace the gasket as well and have never re0used the old one. to me it's just worth the extra work and time to do the job right and ensure you wont have any issues later on. if it leaks you have to start all over again and empty out all the oil. i;d rather know i got it right the first time.

with the sealent/gasket maker i mentioned above i used only the tinies bead, and i cant stress tiniest anough. just enough to fill in any possible imperfections that may exist in the mating surfaces. my friends who work in service at a triumph dealer dnt use any sealant, just the gaskets and state the have never had any issues. so far since putting my clutch cover back on i have no leaks or issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts