Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, new guy here...
First time poster, long time reader...great stuff, very helpful.
I have a 71 TR6R running a dodgy sealed beam headlight. Is it possible to run a halogen or will that tax the already weak charging system? I just want more light! Running Battery/coils/points by the way. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sealed beam remedy (halogen)

I was thinking of a silverstar halogen 'sealed beam', a straight plug in remedy and was wondering if anyone had any feedback about them ie: any more of a power draw. I ride mainly around town, and at night alot, so not alot of long 'charging' runs. Battery and wiring harness brand new by the way.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Especially with a new battery, you need to wire in a pigtail and use a battery maintainer. Just plug it in when you park it and unplug before you go. I ran Silverstars for a short period in my van before upgrading to the IPF H4 housings and liked them. The thing I have disliked about the several Silverstars (sealed beams and H4 bulbs in several vehicles) is that they don't seem to last very long. I'd be weary of their longevity mounted to a vintage Triumph paint-shaker. I also don't like any coated bulbs and the Silverstars have a slight blue-ish tint. I've had pretty good luck with the Sylvania 'XtraVision' lights ....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sealed beam 'upgrade'

Much appreciated. I was wary of their durability also. My current high beam filament is shot due to vibration and that's why I'm replacing it....hopefully with something brighter. I'll look into the one(s) you suggested. The battery already lives next to a trickle charger and gets topped up all the time. Actually, I've got 2 batteries, just in case!

Thanks for the ideas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts