Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

SeaFoam??

15K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  activeseven 
#1 ·
I've been reading about SeaFoam for some time now....it seems too good to be true!! Has anyone used this product and had satisfactory results? Does it do what it claims to do? I'm very interested in trying it....if it works

Thanks

#5 ·
I was told that it does not work well in fuel injected bikes.
Negative, its made to work on all engines, fuel injected or Carbureted.

From their site.
SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a 100% pure petroleum product that safely and effectively cleans internal fuel and oil system components, helping your gasoline or diesel engine run cleaner and more efficiently. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.
SEA FOAM liquefies gum and varnish deposits or internal engine components, removing carbon deposits, freeing sticky valve lifters and rings curing rough idle, pinging and hesitation problems. By using SEA FOAM to eliminate varnish and carbon buildup, mechanics can more accurately diagnose mechanical problems that may exist. That is why Sea Foam has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 65 years.
As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam will clean fuel injectors, clean carbon, gum and varnish deposits, add lubricity to fuel, stabilize fuel for 2 years and control moisture.
As an oil system additive, Sea Foam controls moisture, gum, varnish and residue deposits.

I've been using seafoam for over 20 years now and it has never given me a problem in any engine.

#8 · (Edited)
For a complete seafoam treatment you would do the following:

1) Have new oil, plugs and oil filter.

2) Take 1 full can of seafoam and divide it into 3rds.

3) Pour 1/3 of a can of seafoam into your oil. Then start your engine. Let your engine idle for about 20 minutes. Do not rev your engine or raise your RPM in any way.

4) Drain old oil, replace oil filter and put in new oil.

5) Locate a vacuum source routing into the intake on your engine. For cars its typically a brake booster line. For my motorcycle I dumped it right into the intakes. Once you've found out where to put it, start the engine and have a friend work the throttle.

6) As the engine is idling begin to pour another 1/3 of a can of seafoam in. The engine will want to sputter and die on you, instruct your friend to raise the RPM of the engine in order to keep it alive as your pour the rest of the seafoam in.

7) At this point you will notice smoke coming from your exhaust, don't worry it's supposed to do that.

8) Once you are done pouring seafoam into the intake shut the engine down and let the engine sit for about 15-20 minutes.

9) After that time start the engine. There will be a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust, and when I mean a lot of smoke...i mean a LOT of smoke. Don't panic. Just rev the engine moderately until it stops smoking. Some people like to take the vehicle out for a ride to blow it out to put a load on the engine. Thats up to you but I doubt anyone driving behind you will be able to see the road so keep that in mind.

10) Once the exhaust has stopped smoking shut off the engine and pour the final 1/3 of the can directly into a full tank of gas. Drive normally until you have depleted the tank.

Voila your done.

Now a warning about Seafoam. It is a cleaner, it will clean and lossen all that crap that is in your engine and your fuel system. It does what it claims to do and it does it well. However, IF your engine is extremely neglected you "may" encounter a problem but thats your fault, not Seafoam.

For instance, if you have a high mileage engine that has so much carbon crap built up that its literally holding the engine together from leaking oil from a gasket that blew about 20k miles ago. Once you remove that buildup, you will expose the leak. Seafoam did not cause the leak, the leak was already there. Seafoam just exposed it.

If your fuel delivery system is so gummed up with large deposits of crap. Seafoam will dislodge this and that crap may very well cause a blockage. Again, this was a problem you already had. Not Seafoams fault.

If you run Seafoam into a fuel injected engine that has suffered years of neglect and tons of carbon buildup, keep in mind that your computer will have made some adjustments to fuel trims etc to compensate for your neglect. Seafoam will wipe away all that crap but your ECU might throw a fit because it no longer understands how to operate a properly running engine. Again, your fault. Not Seafoam. Reset your ECU and move on.

I could go on and on but the at the end of the day it's this. If you run Seafoam regularly, like every 3rd or 4th oil change its fine. But if you have neglected your engine, used cheap gas etc etc. Then you already have problems. Using Seafoam will uncover and shine a spotlight on your neglect.

This is why you get so many "mixed reviews" about it. No one, ever admits to neglecting their vehicle.

#11 ·
Typicall after the throttle plate should find a thick vacuum line using the plenum as a vacuum source. Brake booster lines are typically the most convenient but to be honest it depends on your car. Find any vacuum line that is after the throttle but before the air enters the combustion chambers and you should be fine. Feel free to disconnect a line and start the engine to verify that it is sucking air IN if you are unsure.

#13 ·
I have used it previously and it does work. But as stated before it is not a miracle cure all. On my old Katana, cleared up a rough idle without having to go in and scrape out the carbs and clean the jets (had them done the next year anyways). In canada you can get it from Auto Value. Only place I have been able to find it. You might want to try marine maintenance shops as it was originally developed for use for small boat engines.

#14 ·
My engine has been running pretty well. The other day I cleaned out my throttle boddies/flaps. They were a little gunked up nothing serious. I have always changed my oil on time and have had two major services at 12,000 and 24,000 miles and am currently at 25,500 miles on my bike. How crucial is it to add this cleaner or is it just a matter of preference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.