Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snake Oil or actually good medicine? I have had a recent intermittent issue with 06 America cutting out. I suspect trashed fuel (got the bottom of the barrel). Have tried Sea Foam, so far so good.

The instructions also suggest it can be used prior to an oil change, ie. put in the crankcase prior to changing oil. Has anyone done this? Is it stupid? My bike only has 10,000 miles on it. Probably no need to do it, just curious.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
It really does work, quite well, in fact.

I've always wondered: is it really made from sea foam?

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
I've noticed that you Americans sort out all manner of troubles using four basic items:

WD-40, Duct tape, JB Weld, and, of course, Sea Foam...:D

·
29,948 Posts
But the troubles get sorted out, which is the main thing.

Sea Foam does work. It's rather good stuff in fact.

EDIT: Ha - I almost wrote the same thing as leftarmlogan, and it wasn't deliberate. It must be good.

·
Registered
636 Posts
nothing like a quick fix, even if it's in the "head". But I have used sea foam to clean up old carbs after purchasing an older bike. I'm not really sure how much it was the sea foam vs just getting some clean fuel through the system, but it did seem to work.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I do like Seafoam for cleaning MILDLY gumed up carbs...
it isn't ductape or snakeoil, LOL, good one Forchetto
and I have used it in cars and bikes with good results,
BUT I see no reason and I would NOT use it in your crankcase
your engine is still "new" only 10,000 miles...

·
29,948 Posts
I've never put the stuff in my crankcase. Not sure I like the sound of that. Like ocguy says, at 10000 miles you won't need that anyway.

Works good in carbs that have sat a while though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've noticed that you Americans sort out all manner of troubles using four basic items:

WD-40, Duct tape, JB Weld, and, of course, Sea Foam...
Forchetto, you hit the nail on the head....

Sea foam....always gets the old lawn mower started after a long winter storage...gotta love it.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Forchetto, you hit the nail on the head....

Sea foam....always gets the old lawn mower started after a long winter storage...gotta love it.
... and the snow blower running after a long summer storage. I use the stuff in the cars, truck, bikes, lawn mower, and snow blower.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The carbs on my son's Kawasaki would gum up if it sat for more than two weeks until I started using SeaFoam. Now, no problems whatsoever, always starts on the first try. Also, one of the pilot jets on my Bonnie got clogged once, and after cleaning it, I made it a regular practice to add SeaFoam every couple of fillups as a preventive measure. So far, so good. I've tried other carb cleaners and fuel additives and this is the best by far.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
MSDS for Sea Foam ingredients PALE OIL, NAPHTHA, AND IPA (isopropyl alcohol- rubbing alcohol) - a light oil (machine oil) and couple of solvents. Can you tell I'm a pharmacist? ;^) Enquireing minds want to know.

Darn, no mention of anything from the Sea.....foam or otherwise. ;^)

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil
Distillates, petroleum, solvent-dewaxed heavy naphthenic
064742-63-8 <75
Stoddard solvent
008052-41-3 <30
Distillates, petroleum, solvent-refined heavy naphthenic

Pretty much the same thing. - without the light oil.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
MSDS for TECHRON (Chevron product that they put in their gas and available on the parts shelf)
COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT
Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic 64742-95-6 44 %wt/wt
1,2,4-trimethylbenzene 95-63-6 14 %wt/wt
01154100-5007P Trade secret 6 %wt/wt
Xylene 1330-20-7 1 %wt/wt
1,3,5-trimethylbenzene 108-67-8 0.3 %wt/wt

Again, same basic ingredient.....Maybe switch fuel brands, if you are having a problem and save some money.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
There's no sea foam in Sea Foam?

There, on the ground before me, sit the broken and shattered pieces of all that I thought I knew about the world.

·
Registered
93 Posts
MSDS for Sea Foam ingredients PALE OIL, NAPHTHA, AND IPA (isopropyl alcohol- rubbing alcohol) - a light oil (machine oil) and couple of solvents. Can you tell I'm a pharmacist? ;^) Enquireing minds want to know.

How does Sta-Bil compare? Or is it a completely different thing. I use sta-bil a lot in everything and have used Marvels on occasion for a little extra lubrication in the gas (in my old chevy).

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Since you asked...
MSDS for StaBil
Name: NAPHTHALENE

Same difference...Find the cheapest to remove gum. Light oil might be an advantage in Sea Foam, although naptha is slippery in its own right.

Working in a hospital pharmacy, We have to look up MSDS's for all kinds of things people put in their mouths...
had a case last year where a guy's "buddies" put antifreeze in his beer can....patient lived, no word on his buddies.

Alcohol is what we use to keep the gycol in solution so it can be excreted instead of crystalizing and screwing up the kidneys. Apparently there was enough alcohol in his system, he was pretty safe without treatment....

BTW MSDS is Material Safety Data Sheets. Tell what is in a product, how toxic, what to do if exposed, flash points, how to handle. You know, safety stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
How does Sta-Bil compare? Or is it a completely different thing. I use sta-bil a lot in everything and have used Marvels on occasion for a little extra lubrication in the gas (in my old chevy).
The information I was given regarding Seafoam vs. Stabil was this...

Stabil supposedly works as a fuel stabilizer by being lighter than gasoline. This causes the product to float on top of the gasoline and by doing so prevents the exchange of air which can cause it to grow stale.

Seafoam supposedly blends with the gasoline and therefor travels everywhere the gasoline does, such as carbs, jets, etc. In doing so, Seafoam supposedly will prevent carb jets etc., from clogging and provides cleaning, stabilization and lubrication while Stabil supposedly only provides the later.

Take that with a grain of salt, as I am not sure of the accuracy of that info, but that was the difference as was described to me.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts