Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to put the SE wheels on my ‘16 Scrambler.....from what I gather, the rear is a straight swap, it’s the front that battles you....I see a lot of people having the wheel not centered on the forks, because they just do spacers to put rotor into caliper, and leave the wheel where it sits.....so what do you modify if you want the front wheel centered?
The caliper mount to bring it in?
Or spacers on the rotor to bring it out?
Or new caliper bracket? From another model? Or fabricated?
Want to have the front wheel centered on the forks.....so any advise or ideas are more than welcomed....thanks in advance

·
Registered
212 Posts
A set of mag wheel bike triple clamps is one way to get the right centering for the mag front wheel.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts

Mag wheels on a 2001 Bonnie replacing the steel wheels, rear bolts straight in but front end is where you can spend more depending on what your wanting to achieve, on this bike mag wheel triple trees and front guard, Honda F3 Scrambler length forks mated to mag wheel fork lowers, 3 pot Honda caliper and EBC floating rotor,all works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, what a nice looking Bonnie..... want to do the same to my wheels, black powdercoat....wish I could do it without doing the triple clamp or fork swap....bike only has 500 miles on it, feel terrible screwing with all that, would like, if possible to find an easy poetic solution, like: use the such and such year caliper mount and it lines up! Or something along those lines.....but in the end, if the only solution is clamps, I may cry a bit but be coerced into doing it.....thanks for your help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks, that bike turned out well.

With wheels I get fussy about string lining them and while there will be another way to center the mag for me doing clamps was easy as I had a mag wheel bike that got widened Thrux wheels and clamps bars etc to get that bikes geometry so I had clamps, it looked like without them metal would need to be shaved from somewhere to move the caliper out, perhaps there is an easier way.

You also need to think about the front guard, that’s why I used mag wheel bike fork lowers, for the Scrambler if your going to a high mount front guard that would solve the issue that your guard and mounts are for a 19” wheel.

I went with paint on those wheels, was done about 3 years ago and the wheels have been on and off 3 bikes and had multiple tyre swaps and still look like when they were done, it was cheaper or similar price to powder coat with the advantage that it’s easily touched up if you do mark it and no need to remove bearings or cover places you do not want the powder coat to go, the place who did them reckoned they would stand up well to some abuse on the road and I’m pleased to say they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front guard doesn’t worry Me too much, that fabrication is straightforward and easy enough, but caliper and rotor spacing could be a safety issue, wish I had my INDY Car fabricator employee still, he could whip up any bracket, heat treated, ready to go in a couple of hours, but hey, California hates those kinds of business’, as it hated mine, so I no longer have it....been looking at the triple clamps on Ebay, just in case I have to cry and swap those......but there has to be an easier bolt on solution, bet you in the end is so simple, that’s why we missed it....painting is probably what I’m going to do also, the EPA in this state has driven powdercoating and anodizing prices through the roof, what used to cost me $40, now costs 350.....so probably paint just like you....regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What frame sliders are those? I have the TEC Tracker exhaust, and both the R&G and LSL sliders have not fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.....that’s exactly what I needed....they’re spaced from the engine case just enough so that the 2 pipes coming down now don’t run into the bracket.....the LSL kit does not fit with the 2:1 system pipes coming down the right side...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know about the 2016 models but on my '02 Bonnie I figured that the SE front wheel wouldn't fit because the Bonnie's factory wheel was a 2.5" wide wheel and the SE was a 3.5 (17 x 3.5.) So I went with an 18" front wheel from a 2006 America (18 x 2.5.) It turned out pretty nice and I've had this setup for over a year with no issues:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mike
got the front wheel in today....I see what you mean about needing the SE wider triple clamps, otherwise the wheel will never center.....if I find those triple clamps, do you know if I can just use my forks with them? And that settles it? Or do I need something else?.....don’t want to go down some long parts list rabbit hole if I can avoid it.....thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey UJM
did the America wheel center? What issues did you have fitting it?....having a hell of a time fitting the SE wheel.
thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow paint it black....you sure got them to fit....I tried pushing the pipes in and when it was getting really tight and close to the oil line; even though I had moved the oil line in; the LSLs still didn’t fit, I decided to look for something easier, so I got the SATO Racing ones MikeT100 suggested, they look the same as the LSLs, but have small spacers between the case and the bracket, just enough to give me that little clearance I need.....thx for the pic of your setup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know about the 2016 models but on my '02 Bonnie I figured that the SE front wheel wouldn't fit because the Bonnie's factory wheel was a 2.5" wide wheel and the SE was a 3.5 (17 x 3.5.) So I went with an 18" front wheel from a 2006 America (18 x 2.5.) It turned out pretty nice and I've had this setup for over a year with no issues:

View attachment 720444
Hey UJM
what size tire are you using up front? Would you change it? Thx

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey UJM
what size tire are you using up front? Would you change it? Thx
So the factory 19" spoked wheel was a 100/90/19 which works out to a nominal diameter of 26.1" (662.6mm)

Since I was "losing" an inch of diameter (and thus a half inch of radius) by going to an 18" wheel, I wanted to go up slightly in size to make up some of the diameter I lost by going to a smaller wheel. I also like the slightly "fatter" look so instead of a 100/90/18 (which would have been 25.1"/637mm) I went with a 110/90/18 which resulted in a 25.8"/655mm diameter. Since the new tire combo was only 7.4mm or .3" smaller diameter, the difference in radius was half that or 3.7mm/ .15" = too small to really notice.

The only thing I had to change in order to do this was the bolts inside the fender. The 4 fender bolts use big hex heads and the heads of the bolts came too close to the fatter 110 tire for my comfort, so I just swapped those big hex bolts out for some much lower profile button head allen screws.

Here are the original hex head bolts, you can see how close they come to the tire:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hey UJM
did the America wheel center? What issues did you have fitting it?....having a hell of a time fitting the SE wheel.
thanks
No issues whatsoever. Centered? I'm not sure. It looks slightly off-center (to the left) by maybe ~3mm but that could just be that it's off center to the fender. I've never done the string-measuring thing to see if the wheel is off center.

I can tell you I've been running this setup since November of 2018 and I had absolutely no handling issues or strange wear issues with it since then. I did develop a noticeable head shake when I tried to put some big 20mm ammo cans on the side for panniers but I've since come to the conclusion that the head shake is caused by the size/weight/wind profile of the cans. For that reason the side racks are coming off and I'm going back to my previous setup with the Renntec tail rack and a plastic top box, which I ran all last year with zero issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No issues whatsoever. Centered? I'm not sure. It looks slightly off-center (to the left) by maybe ~3mm but that could just be that it's off center to the fender. I've never done the string-measuring thing to see if the wheel is off center.

I can tell you I've been running this setup since November of 2018 and I had absolutely no handling issues or strange wear issues with it since then. I did develop a noticeable head shake when I tried to put some big 20mm ammo cans on the side for panniers but I've since come to the conclusion that the head shake is caused by the size/weight/wind profile of the cans. For that reason the side racks are coming off and I'm going back to my previous setup with the Renntec tail rack and a plastic top box, which I ran all last year with zero issues.

View attachment 720491
View attachment 720491
Thanks so much Martin....that helped....I think I’m going to end up what you did, and by making the wheels black, maybe it won’t be so noticeable that the wheels are different.....Cris

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hey Mike
got the front wheel in today....I see what you mean about needing the SE wider triple clamps, otherwise the wheel will never center.....if I find those triple clamps, do you know if I can just use my forks with them? And that settles it? Or do I need something else?.....don’t want to go down some long parts list rabbit hole if I can avoid it.....thanks
Due to the wider fork spacing you may need an axle and I can't be sure about spacers, perhaps because I used mag wheel bike fork lowers and axle I didn't need to do anything to the spacers which interchanged from the spoke wheel, they just swapped side to side with the stepped spacer moving to the disk side and that gave not only perfect wheel centering but also disk and caliper but then how could it not be spot on with this being essentially a front end swap other than F3 fork tubes and internals.

At the top clamp the instruments plate bolted straight up as do the risers but these are also spaced further apart so some bars don't stay straight far enough where they mount to sit in the risers, obviously any bars that fit a mag wheel bike/SE will be okay, I did run a set of norman hyde M bars in 1" risers for a while as this bike has 1" hand control's and then moved to Tarozzi high rise clip ons that are on now.

It all come down to what you want out of your project and how far you want to go for a particular wheel, I matched the smaller 17" wheel and longer scrambler length F3 fork legs with 370mm shocks at the back and get damping adjustments both ends, very happy with the tyres choices and bike setup from this configuration.

With a 17" mag wheel on the front of your Scrambler are you going for a motard style?

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 49 Posts