Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for pipes for my SE. Came across these:

http://www.bellacorse.com/bce073.htm

And thought WOO HOO! Loud(er) pipes for under 200 bucks! Of course, I sent en email questioning the seller and it turns out they don't fit the SE, only the Black and the T100. Sigh. (he updated the website after we spoke.)

At any rate, I've been having lots of trouble finding anything that even fits the SE, much less something in my price range. Even Triumph's TOR's don't fit the SE. (Any that I've found, at least)

I read an article that said the SE got the Thruxton pipes, and they look identical, however look like they mount differently. So I guess I have two questions:

1- Will Thruxton aftermarket pipes fit the SE?

2- Did I buy the Bastard Son™ of bonnevilles? (ie, no parts made for it)

Thanks for any help!

-MuckSavage

ps - this is my first Brand Spanking New bike, and I am quite new to both Triumph and modding. So forgive my ignorance. :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
It's not just the SE that is unique... It is all '09 EFI Bonnies (et al) that are different... They all have a (slightly) larger OD header pipe than the '01 to '08 carb models... Also, the SE does not have the "kink" in the headers that the other models do... so pipes designed to work on the kinked pipe headers won't line up correctly on the straighter headers of the SE.

When looking for exhaust, be sure to specify that you have an '09...

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's not just the SE that is unique... It is all '09 EFI Bonnies (et al) that are different... They all have a (slightly) larger OD header pipe than the '01 to '08 carb models... .

Beg to differ slightly. All the cast wheel 09 EFI bikes are different. However, the 09 T100s will take the same silencers as previous years. I just installed a pair of NH Togas (same model for both carbed and EFI T100s) with no problem at all. Others on this site have put TORS on their 09 EFI T100s. The TORS part number for 09 is slightly different... but that isn't because the mufflers are different...it is because the ones packaged for EFI bikes don't come with carb jets... that is the only difference.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hmmmm... A friend bought a 50 th Annev. Bonnie and the "old" TORs wouldn't work on them...Inlet diameter on the TORs were to small to fit the headers...

·
Registered
387 Posts
OK, that is a mystery. Biker7 didn't have any problem putting the older style TORS on his 09 EFI T100. Maybe there are some 09 bikes out there with different sized headers. Interesting that Dick "dkreidel" who has four T100s (two 07s and two 09 EFIs -- including a 50th anniversary) has put Togas on all of them. And there is only one Toga model for these bikes. As I said - there must be some 09 T100s/Anniversarys out there with oversized header pipes... and that should be a caution to anyone buying mufflers...make sure whoever you are dealing with will take them back if they don't fit.
Not wanting to be argumentative here...just learning along with the rest.

·
Registered
355 Posts
SE silencers

I, too have a new SE (which I love) that I want louder silencers for. I want to have reverse-cone megaphones with the classic Bonneville sound, but I do not want it to be obnoxoiusly loud. I've been working on this for a while, & here's what I found: per Peter at Triumph, the Thruxton TORS will not fit the NewBonneville or SE (the upsweep is different), & Triumph will not be offering TORS for these new models. Norman Hyde offers a peashooter silencer that has the the megaphone styling & a nice sound, but there is some question if they will mount easily to the newly designed header pipes. Triumphperformanceusa has redesigned their Dominators (both Sport & Touring) to fit the new Bonnes, but they are not available yet, although Carlos has assured me it won't be much longer. Your bike is not a bastard, but the aftermarket suppliers have yet to catch up with the enginnering changes that have taken place!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Tpusa

Those Dominators are worth the wait. Great sound and lets it breathe. I have the touring (High Torqu) and I wouldn't want them any louder. And they're Stainless steel. You'll love them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I put the British Customs Perds on my 09 FI cast wheel Bonnie-fantastic. Just enough sound to sound "correct", very easy to install (be sure to mount the replacment kickstand stopper BEFORE you slip on the left pipe), and they use the Triumph Arrows two-into-two map.
Great look and great sound/performance.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I put the British Customs Perds on my 09 FI cast wheel Bonnie-fantastic. Just enough sound to sound "correct", very easy to install (be sure to mount the replacment kickstand stopper BEFORE you slip on the left pipe), and they use the Triumph Arrows two-into-two map.
Great look and great sound/performance.
Just curious what you think of the Arrow two into two map. Do you have any snatchiness of the throttle. And how about popping on decel?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Arrow 2 into 2

I have the Arrow system fitted to my '09 Bonnie. No problems with the throttle or fueling. The baffles are very easy to remove. Pipes sound way too quiet in, but bloody brilliant removed. One can increase the sound level with baffles in simply by drilling more holes in them plus cutting off the end caps (on the tube that fits down inside the muffler). Easy to do. Also the fit and finish is exemplary.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have the Arrow system fitted to my '09 Bonnie. No problems with the throttle or fueling. The baffles are very easy to remove. Pipes sound way too quiet in, but bloody brilliant removed. One can increase the sound level with baffles in simply by drilling more holes in them plus cutting off the end caps (on the tube that fits down inside the muffler). Easy to do. Also the fit and finish is exemplary.
Just curious Marty. Are you running the original factory map or was the map changed to an Arrow map when the mufflers were installed. And if so, which map and which Arrows? Thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't have any issues at all with the Arrow map. Bike runs really well-no popping-very smooth power delivery-everything is fine. Pipes were 525 and I installed them in 45 minutes of which half was removing the stock silicone seal at the header junction. Replaced with hi temp RTV.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Arrow pipes

Just curious Marty. Are you running the original factory map or was the map changed to an Arrow map when the mufflers were installed. And if so, which map and which Arrows? Thanks.
The pipes were supplied fitted by the Triumph dealer when buying the new bike. They are the Triumph branded Arrows made specifically for the Bonneville. And yes the map was downloaded but as to which map, assuming there is more than one, I don't know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts