Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearing my 5-600 mile running-in period on the '72 Bonnie after a FULL strip down and rebuild and as part of the oil change will be adding a seperate scre-on oil filter (from Goffy) with the finer filtering occuring, can I run a multigrade synthetic? Here in Chicago riding between, say, April and November temperatures ranging from the 40's to 90's.

I'm planning on locating the filter just rear of the oil frame, facing down for easy access to change, anyone come up with issues on this?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I'm nearing my 5-600 mile running-in period on the '72 Bonnie after a FULL strip down and rebuild and as part of the oil change will be adding a seperate scre-on oil filter (from Goffy) with the finer filtering occuring, can I run a multigrade synthetic? Here in Chicago riding between, say, April and November temperatures ranging from the 40's to 90's.

I'm planning on locating the filter just rear of the oil frame, facing down for easy access to change, anyone come up with issues on this?

Geordie,

a 20w-50 dedicated motorcycle oil is the go. Whether synthetic or mineral, you will find a zillion opinionss about that. I use a mineral oil API rated SG.

External oil filters have been done to death here and elswhere. Seach this title and you'll find a zillion opinions and photos of mountings you are contemplating. RR

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I made an alum clamp/mount for the Norton head. It fits under the swing arm on back of the oil tube, but I didn't like the limited clearance. Hence, it's in view. And I have peace of mind until I build another for a smaller filter.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
That machine looks rather shiny, RR. I would have to park mine round the bend from it!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
No on full synthetic oil

On a '72 Bonne the oil is shared with the primary and full synthetic oil will cause your clutch to slip. I use Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil that has ZDDP and is designed for flat-tappet engines without catalytic converters. It is possible to plug the 3 little oil passage holes between the crankcase and primary case and replace the crank bearing with a sealed one. It sounds like it's too late for that on yours. My spin-on filter is mounted to the main frame tube with a 3" muffler clamp (chrome ones are available at Auto Zone). I shimmed mine with a piece of aluminum stock from Ace hardware. I drilled 2 holes in the muffler clamp between the 2 nuts and mounted the oil filter to those with 2 socket head screws. Bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a '72 OIF Bonnie too and run Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil.

Installed a Norton style oil filter just below the swing arm last fall. I'm adding the 20 mm oil thread adapter as the local Autozone and Carquest did not have any filters in stock that fit the 16 X 1.5 mm head.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Norton Style Oil Filter

I have a '72 OIF Bonnie too and run Valvoline 20/50 motorcycle oil.

Installed a Norton style oil filter just below the swing arm last fall. I'm adding the 20 mm oil thread adapter as the local Autozone and Carquest did not have any filters in stock that fit the 16 X 1.5 mm head.
About to install one of these kits on to the T140. Prior to doing so have taken the filter to our local Auto Shop to ensure they have replacements. After much searching through various trade guides we found a Wix brand filter on the shelf-Z93 (51352 Made in Germany).
Identical externally and thread wise, but, looking into the inside of the filter the valving is of a different arrangement.
When having screwed both filters onto the top and blowing/sucking through the inlet pipe all feels the same, likewise with the outlet.
Would this common filter possibly be a safe replacement for the original Norton supplied one?

·
Registered
218 Posts
About to install one of these kits on to the T140. Prior to doing so have taken the filter to our local Auto Shop to ensure they have replacements. After much searching through various trade guides we found a Wix brand filter on the shelf-Z93 (51352 Made in Germany).
Identical externally and thread wise, but, looking into the inside of the filter the valving is of a different arrangement.
When having screwed both filters onto the top and blowing/sucking through the inlet pipe all feels the same, likewise with the outlet.
Would this common filter possibly be a safe replacement for the original Norton supplied one?
There was an oil filter study someone on this forum or the BritBike forum did a while back that compared all of the different brands. Part of the study was the by-bass valve pressure. I'm off to work but I'll see if I can find the link later.

The original Norton filters are hard to find so I installed an English thread adapter to give me more options for filters. I've run Wix and Fram with no issues. Of course filter brands are another minefield debate I rather not step into...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oil Filter

There was an oil filter study someone on this forum or the BritBike forum did a while back that compared all of the different brands. Part of the study was the by-bass valve pressure. I'm off to work but I'll see if I can find the link later.

The original Norton filters are hard to find so I installed an English thread adapter to give me more options for filters. I've run Wix and Fram with no issues. Of course filter brands are another minefield debate I rather not step into...
Cheers BM, that info would be really good. Inrespect to the filter cartridge I bought it has Wix labelling on the carton but is actually a Mann product W712/9, hence the Made in Germany.
The parts book at the shop specifically mentioned that it was a 'motorcycle filter'. But, that has left me wondering!
Information about by-pass valve pressure is more important than who actually makes the filter, I believe also.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oil Filter

I find this table very helpful. Check out the bottom part with the spin-on filters and the by-pass specs.
I use the Norton filter head with an adapter to use 3/4 x 16 tpi filters.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
Cheers. Been doing some search's. The parts book was correct insofar as motorcycle fitting goes. They also fit many popular Europeon built cars such as the CV2 Citroen. The majority of Ducati machines are equipped with this size filter-Wix Z93 (51352) or Mann W712/9.
The bypass is rated @ 1.5 bar (21lb).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts