Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always been reluctant to install a louder horn on my 'Bird. I always thought the original was fine. Then I almost got clipped by a soccer mom yacking on the phone while she drifted into the passing lane at 70 mph. I backed off and hit the horn, but she just kept coming. Time for a new horn.

I settled on a Screaming Banshee. 139 decibels of modulating noise.

http://screaming-banshee.com/

It also flashes the high beam and allows you to maintain the use of the stock horn, meaning you can still honk to say hello or simply hold the button down for 1/4 second and get a noise that will at least make the dead roll over, if not wake them.

The horn itself is large and it is difficult to find a mounting position on the Bird that doesn't look ugly. I finally settled on the space between the engine and radiator which was still a tough fit but the end result looks good and the horn doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Even though it gets hot in that space, the hottest I've measured is less than 170 degrees, which is below the melting point of the plastic used in the horn. The only way to do this was to fabricate a rubber covered flat steel bracket and secure the horn in place using two stainless steel hose clamps. Wiring required tank removal for proper routing. Overall, installation was more difficult than the manufacturer video, but the end result was a very worthwhile safety upgrade.

The following photos show the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
If that doesn't get their attention, then we need fork-mounted RPG's.

Cool stuff -- thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'm really liking that Banshee. First heard about them when they were a kickstarter project. Gonna have to check to see if it voids my warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts