Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid me hit my new AGV S4 off the garage door when putting it on my head and it gouged a small scratch through to the white inner layer (less than 1mm deep) of maybe 1/2 inch long at the back of the neck of the helmet.

Is there anything to be worried about - do I need to buy a new one or am I okay?

Bri

·
Registered
99 Posts
So it scratched the paint off? Or did it go deeper? I think you would be ok as the polystyrene layer inside wouldn't have been damaged.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It got down to what looked like polystyrene underneath but didn't go very deep. I put some loctite over the scratch to seal it. It doesn't look too bad so am hoping I can carry on regardless...

Bri

·
Registered
491 Posts
Loctite? Like superglue? May not be the best thing. You may want to check with the manufacturer but that type of adhesive could attack the shell material.

A 1mm deep scratch will not be down to the polystyrene. It would be ok.

·
Registered
402 Posts
nah it'll be fine i'm always smacking me head on the garage door frame with me lid on, but my lid is getting a bit whiffy now so 'm after a new one next year!! superglue is funny stuff, it will damage polystyrene but it should be ok on plastic and fibreglass, i once spilt half a tube on my denim jeans and they started smoking ALOT try it

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
You'll be all right. One of the bike mags did a test on helmets that had been dropped a while back. Generaly the conclusion seemed to be that they were still safe to use in most cases despite what the manufacturers say. But you see they would say replace wouldn't they as it means more sales!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the replies - phew!
Just how am I to save up for the T100 if I have to buy a new lid every time I hit me head off the roof!

Cheers

Bri

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just an idea. If you bought it on a credit card, you may be covered by the card's insurance, in which case you might be able to claim a free new helmet (remember the old Barclaycard adverts with the wedding presents?). Worth investigating?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts