Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did I do it? I am very tall and like the lower footpeg position of the Scrambler, but I like the aesthetics of the Bonneville better. Other things I like about the Scrambler include the sound and torque curve of the 270 degree motor, the high and wide handlebar, the single-guage speedo, the chopped fenders, and the tall suspension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a fairly complete list of modifications:

-Bonneville headers with flat black ceramic coat
-D & D “Blacks” Bonneville mufflers
-Airbox removal kit with carb support (newbonneville.com)
-Air injection removal kit
-K&N air filter
-Re-jet carb
-Bonneville seat
-Bonneville Aluminum Silver tank
-Triumph cast tank badges in black (part #A9758045)
-Bonneville Tank Pads
-Bonneville Silver airbox side covers (part #A9708077-MH)
-Bonneville headlight with black powdercoat (trim ring chrome)
-Polished aluminum headlight brackets (Bella Corse)
-Ignition relocation kit (British Customs)
-Chrome cam covers (part#A9738034)
-Works Performance shocks
-Lucas bullet style taillight/turn signals, black (newbonneville.com)
-Metzeler Tourance tires (same size as stock)
-Chrome (real, not plastic) mirrors from a random catalog at dealer

My dealer (MCC in Villa Park, Illinois) deserves props for helping me get this project done. They were awesome. I took delivery in May and just now got around to posting this. So far everything looks and runs great. :D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome,
The only thing you forgot was putting "my name" on the title!
Looks great and the best part it's what you wanted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scrambler or Bonnie Tank

Excellent. That's what I may do. I'm tall, been jonesing for a bonnie, but sat on a scrambler and it fits me way better. Plus I like the idea of doing the dirt roads and high mountain passes here in Colorado on a scrambler. Just not sure I like the side exhausts on the scramber, or the bright two-tone paint on the scramblers.

Is that a scrambler tank painted silver, or is it a bonnie tank? Is there a difference between the two tanks?

I've not ridden a scrambler, what is the difference with the 270 degree engine? My guess from reading other threads is it feels more powerful down low but runs out of power at the top end, like above 85 or 90 mph.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent. That's what I may do. I'm tall, been jonesing for a bonnie, but sat on a scrambler and it fits me way better. Plus I like the idea of doing the dirt roads and high mountain passes here in Colorado on a scrambler. Just not sure I like the side exhausts on the scramber, or the bright two-tone paint on the scramblers.

Is that a scrambler tank painted silver, or is it a bonnie tank? Is there a difference between the two tanks?

I've not ridden a scrambler, what is the difference with the 270 degree engine? My guess from reading other threads is it feels more powerful down low but runs out of power at the top end, like above 85 or 90 mph.
Hi Reginald-

I bought a new Bonneville tank because I didn't want to deal with painting the Scrambler tank. But the tanks are physically the same, just different cosmetics. Like you, I prefer a monochromatic tank. The tank shape did change a little after 2007 to accommodate the forthcoming fuel injection system and I doubt they are interchangeable. Also the badges became press-on plastic instead of screw-on metal.

As for the engine, your description is accurate. I wanted more low end torque for the city riding I tend to do. Although it did fine on a 1000 mile highway trip to northern Michigan this summer.

Please keep me posted on your progress!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is very very nice. Is the ground clearance still better than a stock Bonneville?
Yes- even though I replaced the stock suspension with Works Performance, I duplicated the stock Scrambler height.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

One more thing, Reginald. Bonneville pipes are not a clean bolt on. I think the left side did bolt up, but the right side had clearance problems with the footpeg/rear brake mechanism. We ended up modifying the pipe (cut and re-weld). We also did a minor repositioning of the brake mechanism that I might have to photograph to describe. The other issue is you end up with the sidepipe mounting bracket sticking out from the frame under the seat. We ended up sawing that off, smoothing, and repainting that part of the frame. You will also need a new airbox cover as the Scrambler one is molded for sidepipes. Switching to Bonnie pipes ended up being the biggest headache of the process. If you really want them, it's doable, but if I had it to do over again I might opt for some cool after market Scrambler sidepipes.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Nice work! I haven't ridden a Scrambler, especially with non-stock pipes, but I do like the sound of the 270 degree engine that I've heard on a few YouTube videos. Looks like an all-around sweet ride.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sounds like a lot of work. If I were to decide to go with a Scram I'd probably just leave the pipes as is and have the bike re-painted to a color I could tolerate. Either that or just wait for one of the 09's in Matt Khaki Green or Matt Black.

Used scramblers seem to be slow sellers though, so one can sometimes get a very good deal.

I didn't realize the headlight is different between a bonnie and a scrambler, but it appears the scrambler light is smaller.

Are there mounts for the cast tank badges to screw into if you are replacing plastic ones?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I like it alot!!! I have a buddy who has the Scrambler, sounds better than my Thruxton. My bike is silver also. I like the blacked out engine covers and exhaust , could be a future project.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sounds like a lot of work. If I were to decide to go with a Scram I'd probably just leave the pipes as is and have the bike re-painted to a color I could tolerate. Either that or just wait for one of the 09's in Matt Khaki Green or Matt Black.

Used scramblers seem to be slow sellers though, so one can sometimes get a very good deal.

I didn't realize the headlight is different between a bonnie and a scrambler, but it appears the scrambler light is smaller.

Are there mounts for the cast tank badges to screw into if you are replacing plastic ones?
I believe with the new tanks you are stuck with the plastic badges. They look okay but I wish Triumph would put a little more metal and less plastic chrome on these beautiful bikes. It seems to be trending the wrong way. :mad:

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
That's interesting. They are both great bikes, and it seems a number of us prefer some sort of middle ground.
Yeah:

I wanted the extra height and travel of the suspension. I also wanted better and more responsive suspension!

I also changed the bonnies tires for Metzler Tourance, which though kind of semi-off road tires, are still tons better on the highway than the stock tires!:cool:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts