Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound insane, but I have a road trip coming up and I need a bike that can "do it all (on road and off road on poor quality gravel and washed out dirt roads)" like the Triumph Scrambler. Thing is, my Triumph is a 2006 Thruxton.

I don't want to sell the Thruxton, I want to "Scramblize" it so I can use it for this trip, and then put it back to Thruxton if I choose to. The bike runs fantastic, has very few miles, and will last me for decades, so I don't want to sell it or trade it for a Scrambler.

Anybody have experience doing this? I have seen posts where folks went the other way, Thruxtonizing or Bonnevillizing a Scrambler, but I need the better ground clearance, wider handlebars, and more aggressive tires that the Scrambler provides.

Any and all info on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tim

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Tim at the risk of sounding like a smart ass have you thought of renting a bike for the trip? It might cost less than doing a conversion and you wouldn't thrash your thrux.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have looked into rentals, nothing available here in Chicago as far as Scrambler's go, or any Triumph for that matter. Easy to rent a Harley though, just not interested.

Thanks,
-Tim

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
How is that insane ? I was going to scramble my Thruxton but went a different highpipe route . Scrambled Thruxtons look cool . The Arrow system , The Zard system , etc. There's a couple of REAL nice ones here .

Now it you wanted to really " Do It All " a handlebar kit , highpipes( optional but helps with the look) and suspension upgrades and trail tires are in store. Yet the Thruxton suspension is the same on the Scrambler. Parts numbers might not be the same but they are compatible . I have Progressive Scrambler shocks on my Thrux wand will be going with the Scrambler springs soon. Good luck on the build if you decide to do so.

·
Registered
592 Posts
buy a used tiger, use it for the trip, sell it afterwards...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/1180053477.html

by the time you spend the money on long-travel suspension, tires, skid-plates, sprocket, pipes, etc... you've spent a good chunk of change. Granted, not $5k worth, but then you have to turn around and put the bike all the way back and it won't really be what you want for going off-road on a motorcycle... it will be mediocre. The dual-sports have larger tanks, better range, long-travel to begin with, and are generally better setup for that kind of riding.

A few quick searches turned up no rental places for those either, but if you buy something, use it for the trip, then resell it, should sell fairly easily and get you most of your money back and your thruxton can stay unmolested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hobbes80,

Thanks for the advice but I don't want to purchase another motorcycle, take out insurance on it, hope to sell it at the trips end, etc.

I am trying to find out if any folks here have changed their Thruxton into more of a Scrambler style bike.

I have researched renting, and aside from Harley's, that is not an option here in Chicago. I have researched making another bike purchase and am not interested in doing that just for this trip.

I am asking if anyone has any information on making a Thruxton more like a Scrambler. That's all.

Thanks,
-Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's awesome.

Any details on how he did it?

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
100 Posts
It will cost a lot and would be far cheaper to trade it in, but if I were in your position I'd do the same thing!

Step 1: remove clip ons. LSL do a nice kit the 'super bike bars kit' NOT the clip on raisers. I've got this on my 05 thrux it's a quality bit of kit. Try and save a few pennies by getting it without any bars then buy the exact off road bars you want Renthal do a nice selection. The kit is a replacement top yoke (triple clamp?) which allows you to fit any standard motorcycle bars, so after you've finished your trip it would be very easy to install 'ace bars' to go back to cafe racer style with out re installing the clip ons. Its a bit of a pig to fit and the instruction aren't great but the internet can answer most question!

Step 2: exhaust. Hmm if your gonna go to the time and expense of changing exhaust why not break your current ones first! If you look at early sixties off road bikes they had low level exhausts! Norman Hyde in the UK does a high set of pipes for the bonnie (also fit thrux) but if money no object I'd go for the arrow 2 into 1 exhaust for the scrambler. If you put it back to cafe after wards you could blag that the high pipe is fitted for cornering ground clearance, and would look in keeping with a custom cafe racer!

Step 3: Protection, put some bars or one of the engine dresser kits on in case you drop it, sell on flee bay after the trip to go back to cafe.

Step 4: Rear sets, I'm stumped here, if you can live with the footrest position the leave them.

Step 5: tyres – just find some tasty rubber and put it on!

Or just do it stock!! Nick Sanders (google if you don't know him) has gone round the world on a stock R1, but have fun, which your more likely to do if you do it on your bike not a rented bike or a bike bought just for this trip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Quirkymart.

Was just out in the garage looking at the Thrux. I always thought the lowest point on the bike was the pipes as they came out of the engine, but I now see that the frame tubes are lower than the chrome pipes, so the frame tubes limit the break over angle. Maybe all I need to do is raise the bike up some, attach a skid plate, put knobby tires on it, and maybe the wider bars. And leave the rest of it alone.

-Tim

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks Quirkymart.

Was just out in the garage looking at the Thrux. I always thought the lowest point on the bike was the pipes as they came out of the engine, but I now see that the frame tubes are lower than the chrome pipes, so the frame tubes limit the break over angle. Maybe all I need to do is raise the bike up some, attach a skid plate, put knobby tires on it, and maybe the wider bars. And leave the rest of it alone.

-Tim
I was going to reference adepackett's bike too because quite frankly, it's awesome. He's sells parts and does installs etc you should look him up on the forum. He's got a site too.
http://www.adepackett.com/

Anyway what you last said is probably the best bet. Maybe convert the bars, raise it a bit, attach a skid plate and get her some new shoes. I would definitely give adepackett a pm on this project. Good luck and post pics when you're done!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Thrux has an 18-inch front wheel. Going to be tough finding a dual-sport tire for it. Other than that, everything else should be easy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took a long ride on the Thruxton last night, I'm leaving it the way it is. Rides too nice to mess up.

-Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
You could always try something like this, which I think looks awesome. There is a thread on here somewhere that I saved this pic from, where there's more pics:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah. The Zard thing is pretty cool. Helps with ground clearance a tad. :cool:

·
Registered
959 Posts
Scrambler Pipes

Scramblerized Thruxton by Ade Packett in Venice, CA
Permanent setup.
Very sexy. Does any vender out there offer this set up for the left hand side, like the original Bonny or the Norton Commando "S" ?

Steve Gear head at large, all things mechanical.

UNO PARA TODOS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts