Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up a Scrambler this spring. How are they for having passengers? Do the dual pipes on the one side decrease passenger comfort? I want something my wife will want to ride with me on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine's been great carrying passengers on short trips around town, all of whom have absolutely loved it. From my perspective, the suspension and brakes keep up fine, and it still handles well. The low center of gravity also means that it's pretty easy to manage, even with a hundred-plus extra pounds on the tail, and the high pipes have never been an issue. I'm sure the guys who have toured two-up on them could give better insight on longer distance trips.

Much more to the point though is that if you intend to bring your wife along, what we think probably doesn't matter nearly as much as what she thinks. If she thinks the seating position is bad, the seating position is bad. If she thinks the pipes will burn her, the pipes will burn her. If you want her to ride with you, get her input on what she'll be riding. Hopefully it'll be a Scrambler, but if it's not, you'll be much happier with a Bonnie (or a Sprint, or god-forbid a Suzuki) if it'll keep her happy too.

And don't wait 'til spring. Pick up a leftover '08 over the winter. It'll be cheap, and more importantly it'll have carbs. As we all know, real men ride carbureted motorcycles. EFI just takes all the predictability out of it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Welcome Reddog.

I dont think you'll have any trouble with the pipes.
JohnyC didn't on his grand tour of Scotland with his good lady.
Have a look at the videos of his trip which are posted here.

I'd say one thing you would have to change is at least the rear suspension.
Many dont realise quite how bad the OEM shocks are until they change them.
Do a search for Ikon and Hagon and you'll see the reasoning why!

Oh, and a comfier seat may be a consideration.

V.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My wife and I are good for short trips on the Scrambler together. We simply have a blast on the bike, running out to one of the little towns nearby, stopping for lunch, all that stuff. The high pipes haven't been a problem. The seat that is great for me alone isn't so comfortable with two of us on it.

I dial in all the preload avail on the stock shocks when we're riding two-up. It helps, but better shocks would be the way to go.

Engine power surprised me. I'm not overwhelmed by the Scrambler's acceleration, but it was still quite strong even two up. Better than anticipated. With two of us aboard, I can pull out onto the highway and be up to 60 - 70 mph in short order, very comfortably.

I think though - that for two-up touring - there are many better options, all of them are bigger bikes.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rich Walker

Last year my wife and I spent a week at the beach. For seven days all we rode was the Scrambler in bathing suits and flip-flops..The shielding on the pipes worked like a charm.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pick up a leftover '08 over the winter. It'll be cheap, and more importantly it'll have carbs. As we all know, real men ride carbureted motorcycles. EFI just takes all the predictability out of it.
That's just plain silly anti-logic.
Buy EFI and you'll never want to go back...

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's just plain silly anti-logic.
Buy EFI and you'll never want to go back...
Carbs are totally the way to go. I saw a study once that proved that they make it harder for police to clock your bike when you're speeding, which is why the government is putting all these pollution controls in place to get rid of them. The CVKs will also do your taxes if you ask them nicely, and I hear that the Mikuni flatslides give a mean foot rub. Beat that, EFI...

Moving on, I do suspect that you can pick up a Scrambler- be it an '08 if you're carb-inclined or an '09 if you'd prefer a bike that runs without adventure- for much less over the winter than you'd pay in the spring. Specifically, try for the last week in December. They'll be scraping for those last few sales before the end of the year. Every dealership I've ever seen always has been.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Scram

I've got an 07 Scram and unless you spend at lot of time sitting at long traffic lights on hot days pipe temp is nothing to worry about; their actually a bonus when it starts to get chilly out. My wife was kinda sketch on the pipes to but after her first ride, no worries. As for over all comfort, I rode up to Laguna Seca from LA with a bunch of guys on sport bikes and couldn't understand why they were all crying about their backs by the time we got up there.

On the carb / EFI split, I beleive 08 was when they changed to EFI, in additon to stretching the wheel base a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh ya

Another tid-bit for ya, unless you really plan on doin some scramblin, or you just like knobby wander, you'll want to look at putting some more streetable tires on. I've got Dunlop Trailmax's on mine now, their rated as 80/20 street/dirt and I've been really happy with em.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Reddog I have been riding my scrambler for over a year and mostly 2 up. Wife finds it fairly comfortable (gel seat) and no issues with the pipes. In fact I have togas with no shields on the rear potion, and still no issues for her.
As far as power, plenty of it, I can easily sustain speeds of 70-75 mph with plenty of power left to pass...

·
Registered
258 Posts
On the carb / EFI split, I beleive 08 was when they changed to EFI, in additon to stretching the wheel base a bit.
US bikes make the carb to EFI change from '08 to '09. Euros and UK from '07 to '08. The '08 US bikes have the bigger EFI tank in preparation for the change, but I believe all the model year '08s have carbs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
On the carb / EFI split, I beleive 08 was when they changed to EFI, ...
The first year for EFI is 2009. I have one. It's the smoothest running new bike I have ever owned. You'd never know it has only 200 miles on it. The transmission shifts wisper quiet, the valves are silent too and now that I have Togas installed it has the most pleasant exhaust note of any bike I've owned (and I've owned many).

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I have a 790cc T100 with Scrambler pipes and seat. Can't really comment on power as motors are different. The pipes are fine, my lady has no problem or comment on heat transfer, but the stock seat gets uncomfortable after a short ride. Two up the stock suspension gets easily overwhelmed, different people have differing opinions about the two up braking capabilities. Still more comfortable and ridable than a Honda VTX or Shadow though so don't get put off by it's little foibles.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Passenger

Hi

I have taken my dad out on the back of my stock 07 carbed (UK)model and it was fine, yes it would benefit from better rear shocks, but not enough to get worried over. The heat shields did their thing and he liked the wide seat and the peg arrangement.

As for the carb debate - I went for carbs because i got a great deal on a UK 07 earlier this year as the dealer got rid of stock ready for EFI. I certainly wasn’t £800 extra interested in getting EFI. Though if they were the same price side by side I'd go for EFI, it’s just technologically better....

my 2p

Clive

·
Registered
4 Posts
Scrambler Passengers

I have a 2007 Scrambler with Thunderbike Reverse cone pipes fitted - My wife and I have used this for 2-4 hour rides around Perth - even in our summer - with no complaints from either the comfort ( seat) or pipes (heat) perspective. I am thinking of trying a Triuph Scrambler Gel seat - on the few all day rides I have done towards the end of 6 hours or so the std seat gets a bit so so - but there is plenty of real estate to re-adjust the stance so not so bad.

GR8SKP

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a 2007 Scrambler with Thunderbike Reverse cone pipes fitted - My wife and I have used this for 2-4 hour rides around Perth - even in our summer - with no complaints from either the comfort ( seat) or pipes (heat) perspective. I am thinking of trying a Triuph Scrambler Gel seat - on the few all day rides I have done towards the end of 6 hours or so the std seat gets a bit so so - but there is plenty of real estate to re-adjust the stance so not so bad.

GR8SKP
Your arse must be much younger than mine ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Youth

My Arse is 58 years young right now - and according to my wife in fine shape thank you very much - although there would be those wo'd suggest her opinion is not wholly as objective as it might be!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
My wife and I are good for short trips on the Scrambler together. We simply have a blast on the bike, running out to one of the little towns nearby, stopping for lunch, all that stuff. The high pipes haven't been a problem. The seat that is great for me alone isn't so comfortable with two of us on it.

I dial in all the preload avail on the stock shocks when we're riding two-up. It helps, but better shocks would be the way to go.

Engine power surprised me. I'm not overwhelmed by the Scrambler's acceleration, but it was still quite strong even two up. Better than anticipated. With two of us aboard, I can pull out onto the highway and be up to 60 - 70 mph in short order, very comfortably.

I think though - that for two-up touring - there are many better options, all of them are bigger bikes.

Regards, Guy
This is the same face my girl has on when she' on my bike... Or at least I think it is. She hates riding on the back of my Scrambler and quite honestly, I hate having a passenger on the back almost as much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts