Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt that my XE was letting too many sharp bumps thorough the suspension. To the extent that some road surfaces would induce traction control activation under hard acceleration in the first 3 gears.

I have just settled on my own suspension preferences for the XE.
Front, open settings for comp and rebound damping, 4 turns out ( comfort settings as per manual). Drop the yokes/trees/triple clamps by 20 mm ( lower the front).

Rear, compression and rebound set to the comfort setting as per the manual. 5 turns of rear preload applied. This is as much as i could apply by hand. I lifted the bike using my ABBA skylift so could apply 5 turns rear preload by hand.

Rider weighs 100Kg
Before rear preload adjustment
Static Sag 58 mm
Rider Sag 108mm

Post adjustment 5 turns preload rear
Static Sag 49mm
Rider Sag 97mm

This adjustment in shock stroke position (11mm longer) has allowed the suspension to move more quickly and so absorbed the sharp road bumps, as it is on average 11mm further down the rising rate curve and in a more open part of the comp damping circuit. I would have liked to have applied more preload but I feel that I am eating into the soft portion of the spring stroke. I am happy with suspension now for 2 reasons, it is more compliant whist maintaining good damping , AND I made the changes, so it feels like my bike. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds interesting, please update as you put more time on this adjustment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts