Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I ran them on my 98 ATK 605 really good tires. The tires will work better on fire roads and trails than the tourance. You really need to think about how much trail riding you do. The tourance really is the way to go though because you can't push these bikes to hard off road. If you run the enduro 3 you'll give up a lot of on road performance . The tourance works fine on the occasional fire road and is far superior on road.You don't have to think about corner speed & wet pavement as much as if you run them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Loosely related to tires..

Does anyone know if the Scrambler rear hub is the same spec as the America rear hub? I'm using a modified America caliper bracket to move the Scrambler break topside, but the disc from the America is larger than the OEM Scrambler disc. Before I keep going along this road, I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.
Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does anyone know if the Scrambler rear hub is the same spec as the America rear hub? I'm using a modified America caliper bracket to move the Scrambler break topside, but the disc from the America is larger than the OEM Scrambler disc. Before I keep going along this road, I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time.
Thanks
I've been looking at the exact same modification myself. I know the disc diameter is different. Other variables are the axle diameter and swingarm to hub spacing. Please keep us up to speed on how you make out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been looking at the exact same modification myself. I know the disc diameter is different. Other variables are the axle diameter and swingarm to hub spacing. Please keep us up to speed on how you make out.
What I've learned so far: a 2002 America caliper mount fits the axle diameter on the Scrambler and seems to mount just fine on the swingarm. It is too wide for the swingarm/hub spacing, but thanks to its design you can grind 3mm (approx.) off the back so that it is the same thickness as the Scrambler caliper mount. The Scrambler caliper will mount to the America caliper mount, but the stock cable may be a challenge. The biggest stumbling point is the disc - or maybe not - I'm a newbie, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants.
Take care.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Firedawg
I replied on the ADV site too, but here goes.
The America bracket fits the Scrambler swing arm, and the (Scrambler) caliper bolts on fine like you said. But, the America disc is a 285 and the Scrambler is a 255. So, the fits no good without a new disc, or modifying the (America) bracket. The America disc looks like it bolts to the hub with 5 bolts, whereas the Scrambler has 4. So you'd have to find a 285 disc with the 4 bolt mount for the Scrambler hub. A new disc would probably be expensive. I didn't look into that because that ruins doing it cheap.
I don't think I would be able to make the appropriate modifications to the bracket without butchering it. You'd have to re-drill the caliper mounts lower and machine/grind off the excess material.
Then, the caliper sits on the very top of the disc like it does on the America instead of on the front side (below) like it does on the Scrambler. And I'm thinking you'd have to get a longer brake line to fit, but maybe not.
I'm real interested in doing this myself. I almost bought an America caliper to see if there was enough material there to modify the mount so the (Scrambler) caliper could be fit to the front side of the stock disc. Basically mirror the stock Scrambler one that is obviously on the wrong side. Then, hopefully you could still run the stock disc, caliper and brake line. If there is enough "extra" material that you could mirror the stock one, I bet you could find a machine shop to drill and cut for you pretty cheaply.
Let us know how you make out. I'm interested also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Firedawg
I replied on the ADV site too, but here goes.
The America bracket fits the Scrambler swing arm, and the (Scrambler) caliper bolts on fine like you said. But, the America disc is a 285 and the Scrambler is a 255. So, the fits no good without a new disc, or modifying the (America) bracket. The America disc looks like it bolts to the hub with 5 bolts, whereas the Scrambler has 4. So you'd have to find a 285 disc with the 4 bolt mount for the Scrambler hub. A new disc would probably be expensive. I didn't look into that because that ruins doing it cheap.
I don't think I would be able to make the appropriate modifications to the bracket without butchering it. You'd have to re-drill the caliper mounts lower and machine/grind off the excess material.
Then, the caliper sits on the very top of the disc like it does on the America instead of on the front side (below) like it does on the Scrambler. And I'm thinking you'd have to get a longer brake line to fit, but maybe not.
I'm real interested in doing this myself. I almost bought an America caliper to see if there was enough material there to modify the mount so the (Scrambler) caliper could be fit to the front side of the stock disc. Basically mirror the stock Scrambler one that is obviously on the wrong side. Then, hopefully you could still run the stock disc, caliper and brake line. If there is enough "extra" material that you could mirror the stock one, I bet you could find a machine shop to drill and cut for you pretty cheaply.
Let us know how you make out. I'm interested also.
Hey Wise,
Caught your response on ADV. I think I have to work on my counting - my four year-old can tell the difference between four and five. I was too focused on the 255 vs the 285mm disc. Anyway, as I posted on ADV, I don't think the America bracket can be modified to fit the 255mm disc. It would more than likely end up being too weak. The America mount is not uniform in thickness and your holes would fall into the thin areas. The America bracket is a bit thicker where the axle slides through, but thinning it out is a simple thing. Looks like I'm looking for a 285mm disc with four holes....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Let us know if you find one. I'll put it on my to-do-for-the-bike list according to expense. My wife loves this list. Sorry, LOATHES.
EBC makes good brake products but they explicitly state they will not help you find products to fit your bike. So I'm not real sure honestly to go about finding a 285mm disc with four holes. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let us know if you find one. I'll put it on my to-do-for-the-bike list according to expense. My wife loves this list. Sorry, LOATHES.
EBC makes good brake products but they explicitly state they will not help you find products to fit your bike. So I'm not real sure honestly to go about finding a 285mm disc with four holes. Good luck.
Heh, your wife and my wife cold probably fill up their own forum on their husbands to-do-for-the-bike-list.
I think I'll start bugging a couple of my local shops - see if they can dig up a 285mm, four hole disc for me. I'm just a little worried that the Scram hub isn't made for the extra stress a 285mm disc would put on the mounts. Think that would be an issue?

·
Registered
214 Posts
It might be.

The Speed/America is about 50lbs heavier dry. They also have dual disc brakes in the front. So the brakes are beefier all the way around. I honestly don't know if a little extra stress would be a problem for the Scrambler hub.

·
Registered
214 Posts
BTW Mariner55,

Rhodie had some Enduro 3's on his Scrambler. Like bikebits said, they don't make a front tire that fits our rim. I bet Rhodie had a different size alloy rim on his bike because nothing was stock. He doesn't play with this site anymore though.

They look like nice tires. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Tourances. That's what I plan on putting on mine when the stock ones run out this year.

·
Registered
578 Posts
For a street tire I chose the Bridgestone Spitfire, a good general purpose light touring tire. I don't ride my Scrambler off road so I lowered it 20 cm and installed Hagon progressive front springs and Nitro rear shocks at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts