Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the best tire to replace the stock Bridgstone's on my 2007 Scrambler? I want to keep the "look", but get better wear, wet traction,etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Scrambler tires

Has anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion MT 60 tires. I will need to replace my Trail Wings before long. The Trail Wings seem to be a fair compromise for the Arizona fire roads and pavement, but I am wondering if maybe the Pirelli MT 60 would be better.

I don't want to give up any performance on the dirt, I think the Trail Wings are a bare minimum, but I don't think I would be happy with a knobby like the Karoo on pavement!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
763 Posts

I didn't expect them to work as well as they do on dirt roads. They're fine unless it gets real wet and muddy. I think the original tires were a bit better in muddy conditions. For anything else though, the Tourances have been really good.

On road, the Metzlers are great - far superior to the originals. Ride comfort, braking, handling, wet pavement - better in every way.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yep, Tourances are better. I switched a couple of months ago. Bridgestones wear unevenly and the front tyre was badly cupped at around 7000 miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
TKC 80's seem to be the most popular choice
Mitas eo9s work well , eo7's are still better off road than the Bridgestones but be careful on wet tarseal
We can't get MT60's tofit in these parts but it may be different up there

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
MT 60? I have Scorpion MT 90s on my Scrambler. They are a definite improvement over the Trailwings - esp. on pavement. I haven't had a chance to do any serious off-roading with them.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Beats me why Triumph continue fitting unpopular tyres......
Price, mostly. They get a good deal for an adequate tire. I remember reading an article by a racing mechanic (Smoky Yunick) over 30 years ago stating that the very first thing you should do to any car you buy is replace the tires. I'm sure the same same holds true for motorcycles unless you're buying a real expensive bike.

I replaced the tires on my Scrambler within the first 500 miles of owning the bike. The Trailwings are scary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ran MT 90's, way better on the street than B'stones & probably about the same performance off seal. Have just fitted Avon Distanzia's which are hopefully a little better off seal.
I found the B'stones to be OK but there are better tyres out there, you just have to work out where your focus lies , seal or unsealed & live with the necessary compromises

·
Registered
30 Posts
i put 8000 miles on the trailwings, now im running avon distanzias, ive got about 3500 mile on them now. Pretty nice tire. Suck in sand i went through a dry river bed and almost buried my bike.
but on dirt there not bad. Got em off ebay 75 bucks for both

·
Registered
567 Posts
I had no problems with the Trailwings until the front started cupping at around 7k miles - bike felt very unsteady. I looked for the Pirellis but couldn't find any where I live. (Aren't the MT60s the ones Mecatwin use on their customised Bonnevilles?) Anyway, I changed to Metzler Tourances - good tyres and very popular it seems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you want sth. more off road u should try this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209890

but even on street they aren´t that bad...there are some doin 10000km on the rear tire...

as i don´t look for the max. street performance i bought them to try out

since the change i made 250km and sorrily can´t tell that much about them...but they feel a little tricky from handling...but it´s getting better and better from meter to meter...that´s normal and known...after 500km they must be perfect as i read in different forums

at 10 degrees plus they work fine even while banking...i only got 5mm of reststripe now...and for sure it won´t be there at the begining from the season...but i don´t know how it feels at 30 degrees in summer while banking and on the throttle...i think a little slippery

brake-stability is not that good...even with stock brake it starts to whimper because of the abrasive profile when u try to get all out of it

but the off road performance is great :cool:

cheers

twinfan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been to the Metzler web site and there is no reference to a tube/tubeless Tourance model. Is it like the Anakee and can be run with or without a tube, or are there both tube and tubeless specific tires?

·
Registered
229 Posts
trailwings

I find they are OK in the dry but i just dont have any feel in the damp at all, i have had it slide a bit when i've been a bit enthusiastic :eek:. I have done 3k miles and they are well worn.

I think I'll fit some Avons in the not too dim & distant future when a deal comes up.

Cleers
Clive

1 - 20 of 31 Posts