Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my riding experience has been with sport bikes, mostly Kawasaki Ninjas. It's time for me to slow down and experience a different kind of riding. Keeping that in mind. What experience/opinions do you guys have about the new Triumph Scramblers? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I admit I don't know much about them, other then I read a pretty harsh review of them awhile ago. something about them not being a good streetbike, but also not being a good offroad bike.

Different strokes...... I know everybody has their own tastes, but if Im going to be honest, those stock pipes make the bike look unbelievably ridiculous. I can't even fully express how ugly they look to me.

Again, you scrambler owners don't take this personal, just offering my opinion with the full awareness that there may be things I like to which you loath as much as I do the stock scramblers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
While you're waiting for Scrambler owners' opinions ...

Here's a soon to be buyer's 2 cents. I fell in love with the Scrambler after seeing it on the web several months ago and have probably read every professional review out there, plus dozens of posts here by Scrambler owners. I more motivated than ever to buy one, and can assure you the vast majority of reviews are very favorable, with criticisms generally limited to minor things, many of which the reviewers admit are subjective. One common note of caution sounded by all is to think of it as a road bike with some light duty off roadability, although there's guys that after a few suspension mods really pound it on the dirt. Most all reviewers agree it really holds the road nicely, but many here will tell you the stock rubber isn't the greatest.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback from Scrambler owners over the next few days, but in the meantime I personally think the best perspective to consider the Scrambler from is that it really attempts to capture the experience, not just the looks, of the old TR6C Trophy from the '60s. Nobody claims it's a screamer - in fact, it's power\weight ratio is only a little better than the old Trophys. But that's what gives it its retro feel, and nobody complains about its lack of torque. Many owners and reviewers who've ridden the old Trophys agree that it has that old feel, but with some modern touches like disk brakes, oil cooler, electric start, EFI (on '09s anyway) and best of all - it doesn't leak! I wish they had kept a kick starter though:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do any of the newer models have a kick starter on them or is that just from the old ones?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Apaulo,
There has been the forum posting equivalent of volumes written on the pros and cons of the Scrambler. You would enjoy checking out all these different viewpoints. Use the search feature here. I know I will enjoy reading what opinions this new thread brings.

I love my Scram. It's fun to ride and easy to work on. Cosmetic and performance upgrades are plentiful. As time and money permit I'm modifying mine to suit my personal taste. It's quite a conversation starter no matter where I go!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

mostly Kawasaki Ninjas. It's time for me to slow down and experience a different kind of riding.
You wouldn't have going that fast on a Kawasaki anyway. And a Hinkley Triumph needs a kick starter as much as any modern sport bike needs one. Besides there are mechanical architecture reasons why they can't fit one.
Riding a new Triumph is totaly different from a sport bike, no pressure or pain.Keep the ZX for track days and chill out on a Scrambler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You wouldn't have going that fast on a Kawasaki anyway. And a Hinkley Triumph needs a kick starter as much as any modern sport bike needs one. Besides there are mechanical architecture reasons why they can't fit one.
Riding a new Triumph is totaly different from a sport bike, no pressure or pain.Keep the ZX for track days and chill out on a Scrambler.
This is what I simply can't wait to experience. Riding a sportbike is a chore to me now. No way should riding feel like a chore.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Mob,that is the best part about the Bonnies. You just ride,stop,take pics,ride some more.You smell the cow poop in the farm country,you watch hawks circle,you talk with old geezers at the gas station instead of glaring at them. Its a whole other world.:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
After too many years to count riding sports bikes, ten years covering Europe on a BMW tourer, I can say that the Scrambler I have owned since 2006 has given me most fun.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You know that old saying "you can never really go home again."?Well, its kind of like that. You go back and its just not like you remember. The old pub is now a sushi bar, the girl you lusted after is an old hag, your friends are gone, the fields and woods are now a strip mall. :(

For many people motorcycles became like that. You had to choose between a nearly full out race bike with a fairing capable of 150 mph but no fun at 30, or some sadomasachistic version of an easy rider magazine cover from 1976. Uugh! Who needs it? Living someone else's marketing image. Too much weight, too much speed, etc., bizarro image. What about a basic motorcyle, the real deal reason we go into this in the first place?

Well, the good news is, you can go home again. The essential bike lives on and the fun of motorcycling is all there again. On the Bonny or Scram you got your head up, feet on the pegs under you, a nice happy motor with some kick and suddenly you are back, man! Really, you have to be dead to not have a ball on these bikes. I recently ran into an old riding buddy from 20+ years ago. I really miss those days when we would take off for some adventure. I told him that riding is just as much fun as we remember.Tried to get him back in, but he is stuck in marketing hell and can't get back on. Oh well. Not you and me. We get it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The Scrambler is just plain fun. I think it looks good, and now that I've got the NH "silencers" on it, the darned thing sounds good too. Actually, I kind of liked the sound of the stock pipes, although they were way too muffled.

Handling is decent. Torque is decent. There is essentially NO high end power. Once I reconciled myself with that, I was fine. Very easy to ride, in town or on the highway. It doesn't seem in it's element at high speeds, but is a delight on a twisty two-lane road or popping about in town. I've done 400+ mile days w/o problem. I've loaded up for backcountry tours with all my camping & fishing gear aboard. I've scraped the pegs in turns out of sheer exuberance. I've wished for another 20 hp... I've been delighted at 45 - 52 mpg on trips, and satisfied with about a 40 mpg average.

On dirt - well it's a LOT heavier than a real dirt bike, but about the same as the other big "adventure" bikes. Compared to most of them, it has little suspension travel, but is reassuringly low to the ground. Nice when paddling through some rough, rutted dirt roads. I've taken it on some fairly demanding single-track trails - and likely shouldn't have done so, but the Scram and I made it out without a major meltdown. Fun, because I can run at 85 mph on the interstate, then slow down for a two lane, then head off onto a dusty Forest Service road - all with the same bike.

The stock tires were adequate, but barely. I didn't realize how much improvement was available until I had the Metzler Tourances mounted.

It's an easy bike to work on. The few modifications I've made to mine have mostly been of a practical nature and were easy to accomplish. Routine maintenance is a snap.

I like mine. The biggest thing you will likely miss coming off a sportbike is the sheer performance edge - that's truly missing from a Scrambler, and it costs big bucks to modify the Scram to even approach the acceleration & handling of a real sport bike. Think of it more as a relaxed hiking buddy, or perhaps a trustworthy pack mule rather than a spirited companion looking for trouble...

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love mine

I've been riding for 44 years now and have owned somewhere around 70 bikes and the Scrambler ranks up there as in the top 3 or 4 most fun bikes I ever owned (all fun for different reasons I suppose). It(along with the modern Bonnevilles) are the "all around do everything" bikes I grew up on, not some specialized one trick pony. I get a lot of smiles per mile on mine, and that is what counts.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Guy, that picture sold me! I want to buy one and taking up a fire road. Great picture.

Good point about the lower height being an advantage. Although you are going slow, paddling is a technique that can keep you upright and get you through.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you are indeed ready to slow down and enjoy the ride then go for it. I've been riding for over 45 years and my 1st NEW bike was a '69 TR6C, my '09 Scram has been a great trrip down mamory lane. Currently I've got a Daytona675, KLR650, FHJR1300 and the '09 Scram with 1200 miles on it.

An Arrow 2 into 1 exhause w/remap has made significant inprovement to the "attitude" of the bike,, now it need upgrades to the suspension. If you're coming from the sport bike world you'll probably want to make these changes/upgrades.

Better wind protection and luggage capacity make the FJR a better long distance tourer.

Off road tires, larger front wheel, and less weight make the KLR a better "off the pavement" bike.

Performance and handling make the Daytona675 a better track bike.

BUT the Scram is my favorite everyday ride now. It's very comfortable, has adequate performance, will go OK on gravel roads and simply has the right look and feel for me. It's a modern classic for this old classic!! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps you decide.... JUST DO IT!!

Regards Paul

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've pretty much got to agree with everyone elses posts.The Scrambler is just a fun all around bike.It's not a tourer,although I'm gonna ride it down to the Cambria,CA rally this summer(about 1100 miles one way from here),it's not a true dirt bike that you can fly down gravel roads and trails with(although I've taken it on trails it wasn't designed for)and it's definitely not a sport bike(it will go down the highway at 80-85 mph all day long and with the Metzler Tourances instead of the Death Wings handles suprisingly well in the twisties).I traded in my '01 Speed Triple for it and haven't regretted it at all.I've done some mods to mine and if I could only have one bike,the Scrambler would be it,due to it's versatility.I've got my Trophy for two up riding,long trips and smoking Harleys.The retro looks really appeal to me too,as I came from the era of the desert sled.Remember the old saying:it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast,than to ride a fast bike slow.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
The Scrambler is an interesting bike. I have been modding mine a bit, but its pretty much fine the way it is. I find myself looking for reasons to ride it instead of taking the car. My car now sits parked 6 days a week. Only only use it to run errands with bulky (or numerous) items involved.

As far as the mods go, I would only consider a couple "necessary": suspension and tires. The rest are nice and may make the ride more comfortable, but you can live without them. The bike just begs to be ridden a lot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had my Scrambler 2 years 6 months and love it as much now as when i bought it, no regrets. Also have a Honda Hornet, Yam XT600, Yam TY175 and a Yam RD400F. Since i bought the Scrambler the Hornet has done 2,210 miles the XT has done 1,107 miles the RD 211 miles the TY well that will always be fun. The Scrambler has now done 10,714 so as you can see nearly all my riding is now done on the Scrambler, because it is perfect for everything. I now think i may sell the Hornet as it is surplus, redundant. I certainly will not buy another sports bike as much as i like them, got the tee shirt and the licence to match if you know what i mean. Apart from being uncomfortable you can't enjoy a sport bike here as the law are out to get the sport bikes. All my mate's took the piss when i bought Scrambler but two of them are dead now, one is banned and the others are all working to pay their fines. YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE
Buy the scrambler and the solo seat with rack more comfy. Steve

·
Registered
616 Posts
Mob,that is the best part about the Bonnies. You just ride,stop,take pics,ride some more.You smell the cow poop in the farm country,you watch hawks circle,you talk with old geezers at the gas station instead of glaring at them. Its a whole other world.:D
Perfect description of some of my best days on the Thruxton. It's not about some clique -- it's about you and your machine off exploring somehere. Like the idea of getting lost on purpose just so you can find an intersting way home? I don't think there's a better bike made right now than the Scrambler for that.

Triumphs rock. Pull the trigger. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
if Im going to be honest, those stock pipes make the bike look unbelievably ridiculous. I can't even fully express how ugly they look to me.
Yeah, Steadymob, high pipe Triumphs have always been hideous. Take a look at this piece of junk. Makes my eyes sore just looking at it. Ha, ha.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah, Steadymob, high pipe Triumphs have always been hideous. Take a look at this piece of junk. Makes my eyes sore just looking at it. Ha, ha.

Now that made my eyes sooo sore they started to tear....... as a broad grin spread across my face! VERY NICE... in 1969 I bought my 1st new motorcycle, a Triunph scrambler! :)

Forty years later I did it again!:elated:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts