Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have used the "search" function of this forum and have had no positive results. Perhaps someone here has some information to share with me.

I would like to know a few things about fitting a scrambler solo seat/rack onto a T-100. Can this be done? If so, are any modifications needed? Will I need to remove my grab rail if I do so? I have looked through the photos section and if there is a Bonneville with this seat I definitely missed it. Also, does the whole assembly simply mount on like the stock seat? I have noticed in some photos that there are mounts on each side of the seat, and I am guessing that they are to support the scrambler mufflers. Do these mounts bolt on or will I need to saw them off?

I know its a lot of questions all at once. I hope someone has an answer.

Thanks so much.
Paul Cretini

·
29,948 Posts
The scrambler solo seat with rack definitely fits on a T100. I have seen one up close and personal. The frames are the same between the scram and Bonnie in the seat region.

I don't know if the grab rail will fit with the solo seat / rack - I think it will - but can't see a reason why you would want to keep the grab rail with this particular seat, since you can't put a pillion on the rack anyway.

Well, I guess you could strap a passenger on there if you really wanted to. :D

EDIT: I think the mountings you saw for the mufflers are on the frame, not the seat.

Other EDIT: A link that came up in the "similar threads" box at the bottom of the screen : http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/61310-scrambler-solo-seat-and-rack-on-bonne-installed.html

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
one word of caution, I've read that the rack is more for looks than function. You can attach light stuff to it, but it only mounts to the plastic seat pan so it limits the load capacity.

I'd like to get one of those seats, ditch the rack, cut a hole in the seat pan, and mount something through the pan to the frame and really have some carrying capability.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Propforward, sweatmachine, thanks so much. Looks over function is very disappointing to me.

I will most likely not waste my money.

Many, many thanks

·
29,948 Posts
Well fair enough. FWIW Sweat is spot on - the rack is directly attached to the plastic "fairing", as such it will only take very light stuff.

I have a plan to modify a corbin seat and put a seat cowl on the rear as a little trunk. I was also toying with the idea of making it able to accept a rack, which would mount direct to the frame to be able to take some load.

But it might look crappy - don't know I haven't done it yet. It's one of this winters mods.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, i was hoping for something sturdy as well. Don't get me wrong, I think that the scrambler's single seats are handsome as well, but I cannot justify all of that money on something so skimpy. I assumed that the little plastic part was actually made of metal.
Damn shame.

Also, now that I have posted this I see that there are several posts on the topic that currently exist. Whoops. Maybe I am not using the Search tool correctly.
I know I can simply read all posts, but it gets tiresome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Solo roller

I like my solo seat well enough, it seems a little narrower than the stocker. I was able to drop mine by about 1/4" by pulling out the stock rubber footsies and putting some thinner 1" dia. adhesive backed furniture pads in their place and slipping some rubber tubing over the frame hooks. It defiantly feels more planted, and it got rid of the annoying gap between the seat and the tank.

All said though, there are some other pretty cool solos out there i wish i would've seen first; somehow the wife just doesn't understand why I need three seats for one bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts