Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, wonder if you have any advice...
As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I lost the RH small sidecover off my Scrambler in some extraordinarily windy conditions riding to the Burt Munroe 'World's Fastest Indian' Rally in Invercargill. Some sort of Antarctic storm system was brewing and the winds were gusting with unbelievable strength, felt as if they might whip the wheels out from under you; anyway, at some point my sidecover was whipped off - my mate who was following on his Legend recalls he thought he saw something come off my bike, and my wife sort of remembers something hitting her leg - I was concentrating on keeping the bike on the road...

Well, my local dealer finally got a price on the part - or parts - it is composed of about 14 bits and pieces, decal, grommets, screws, shield etc, and it comes to the astronomical sum of NZ $476.95 (= US $329.87, or 167 pounds). They don't supply these as an assembly either, just all the separate bits.*****!!!

Anyway, my question is: anyone have one to sell, or know of a wreck, or have seen these bits around, or have any ideas at all??? This price is more than half a set of Thunderbike pipes, which are better value than a bit of plastic...
Seriously, I'd appreciate any thoughts; also Scrambler owners, do something to secure that cover to your bikes...
cheers, Pat

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
go to a metal fabrication shop. They can bend you up a piece of aluminum (aluminium?) for next to nothing, powdercoat or spraypaint it black, and bob's your uncle as the pommies say.

It'll look just as good if not better.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, there'd have to be a way around it I reckon. One thing's sure, I can't see myself paying nearly $500 for the stock new part(s) - an aluminium one would be the go - cheers, Pat

·
Registered
544 Posts
I can't understand why you had to pay for a new cover on an 06 bike. Mine came off after a couple of days and was replaced under warranty.

Frank.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My chaingaurd fell off on the way home from picking mine up and a new one was supplied under warranty
The dealer may whinge about it but it's not your fault either.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank - thanks for that bit of information - it sets a precedent, and might help me if I try for a warranty claim; thanks also D'arcy, that is a similar situation, maybe I'll have some luck getting it replaced.
I posted something about it over on the Delphi NewBonneville forum, and a couple of guys have said the same as you blokes; one says he's pushed his back on the pins already as he noticed it lifting off. Better secure them guys, somehow, this is a pain in the you-know-what...
cheers Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts