Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks , I recently bought a 2015 two tone scrambler. I love the bike. I have a couple of questions on how it rides. When travelling at a constant speed of 30mph it feels like it is skipping or has a spark plug miss. I would assume if it did the check engine light would be on. It feels like the power is not constant. I did have the dealer load the latest tune on it. The other question has to do with the throttle. It seems to be on or off right off the stop, to the point where I have to slip the clutch on slow speed turns in 2nd year. Both of the concerns are exaggerated when riding two up. Extremely hard to be smooth and not bang helmets. The only way around it is to ride aggressively which is fine but would be nice to go slow too. Maybe someone knows of an efi glitch or patch? Other than that I really enjoy how easy it is to maneuver. It is light years ahead of previous bike a Kz1000 in turning. Not so much in a straight line. Any information would be welcome . I'm still getting to know the bike and try and get on it whenever I can. Currently has 4400 miles. Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
144 Posts
snatchy throttle is the 1st thing I fixed on my 2014.
In my case removed the Air Injection, and O2 sensors.
Blocked the holes and used TuneECU / TTP to remap and kill any error lights.
In my case this made a massive improvement and transformed to a smooth ride.

Worth a try for not a lot of money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll have to research tuneECU. Not sure what it is or how to use it. Anyone else have that skipping or missing sensation when riding? Maybe it's the 270 firing order?

·
Registered
797 Posts
What gear are you in at 30mph when this occurs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I also have a 2015 Scrambler and I have noticed the same problem as the OP. Is there anything else that can be done to smooth it out at 3000 RPM beside using the tuner? I have noticed the engine runs a little better when I use the non-ethernal fuel.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Hi. I also have a 2015 Scrambler and I have noticed the same problem as the OP. Is there anything else that can be done to smooth it out at 3000 RPM beside using the tuner? I have noticed the engine runs a little better when I use the non-ethernal fuel.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Psychosomatic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feell the same twitching at low speeds as OP. And I have instaled TTP tune. So it does not change when tune installed. It's probably a character of 270 crank firing, but it's annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the responses. I adjusted my chain as it was on the loose end of the spectrum and it seemed to help a bit. At least it's not just my bike that's doing it so I won't worry it's mechanical. I will continue to try to dial it out if possible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2014 had some surging when cruising around at low throttle settings. When the dealer installed an arrow w/map it was better, but still there a little bit.

I currently have a 2016, that had an arrow installed from the get go, and it is better. It also had the AI removed, I've never ridden this bike with the stock setup so I can't really compare that configuration.

I did try the O2 eliminator plugs and ran the 2014 open loop for a week or two, it didn't seem to make much difference. The 2014 also had a touch of off idle hesitation, the 2016 does not. the only difference is the AI removal.

Not much data to go on, but I'm happy with the way the 2016 runs. If I still had the 2014 I would probably look at a TTP remap solution, the 2016 is fine the way it is.

That's my very limited experience.

Cheers,
Steve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Steve. I'm trying to get used to it. The surging feels like a small fish nibbling on a line. Or a small tug, totally random. I've had the latest tune installed as I mentioned, adjusted the chain, changed fuel grades, and I'm planning to pinch the air hose coming out of the air box. I'm wondering if this has a similar effect as removing the AI. I also read somewhere on this forum that their are subtle difference s between the 2014 and later 2015 and 2016 scrambler s ecu tune. Anyway once again thanks for the input.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks Steve. I'm trying to get used to it. The surging feels like a small fish nibbling on a line. Or a small tug, totally random. I've had the latest tune installed as I mentioned, adjusted the chain, changed fuel grades, and I'm planning to pinch the air hose coming out of the air box. I'm wondering if this has a similar effect as removing the AI. I also read somewhere on this forum that their are subtle difference s between the 2014 and later 2015 and 2016 scrambler s ecu tune. Anyway once again thanks for the input.
That's interesting. Oddly, my 2016 seems just a touch lean when cold. In weather like today (mid 60's) it stumbles just a bit in the first mile, the 2014 was perfect wide open. I've heard the same story about differences in the 2015 & 2016, my 2016 has no trace of the annoying off idle hesitation, and just a touch of lumpyness cruising around 40 (as I'd expect in a big twin at low throttle settings, noticeably better than the 2014).

I'm curious how you make out with the AI. The dealer removed it when they installed the Arrow, I had no plans to do it but when I picked up the bike it was removed. I'm no complaining. It's the one thing I didn't try with my 2014.

Hopefully, you can sort it out easier than I did (by totaling my bike and replacing it:surprise:)

Cheers,
Steve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That indicates a lean condition. You might have developed an intake leak, or possibly an exhaust leak that is making your o2 sensor give funny readings to the ecu. I've seen an o2 sensor installed without antiseize and by the time the owner noticed it was rattling around loose in its bung.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts