Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, I had a Bonneville but had to sell it due to lack of leg room. I'm 6'3" and my knees can't take being cramped too much. I notice the Scrambler had 2" more seat height, does that straighten the knees out a bit? (I wish we had a Triumph dealer close by to go test one)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't think the 2 inches will do much for you. I ride a Scrambler and I felt the tightness in my legs for a while - and I'm only 5' 11". Maybe try a Tiger or a BMW GS?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I road a T100 and a Scrambler back to back yesterday... Significant difference in confort for me, both in leg room and in the more upright posture due to higher bars.

I now own that Scrambler, '09 flat green!!

My friend and riding bud has a new '08 scrambler he purchased last week. To me there seems to be a significant improvement in throttle response and engine smoothness on my '09. I suspect with a little carb tuning his will improve significantly.

I will say the T100 felt much more powerful... but it was fully broke in with 1200 miles on it. The '09 Scram had 1 mile on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, so far we have a split of opinions. I currently ride a Speedmaster by the way. It has excellent leg room but the looks and appeal of the Scrambler have me thinking.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
A guy here, modre, makes a lowering kit for Bonnevilles - may work on a Scrambler. Lowers by about two inches. Will interfere with cornering a bit if you are a knee dragger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think lowering the bike is going the right direction. My issue is a Bonnie is a bit too cramped. I'm asking if the Scrambler is a bit more generous on leg room?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Modre's kit lowers the pegs by inserting a bracket between the peg and the mount on the bike thereby increasing leg room. Should work on a Scrambler. I have the rt peg and brkt assy off a Scrambler on my T100, if it wasn't the middle of Winter I'd grab the stock brkt and compare. As to how to find Modre, I'm not exactly sure but run a search on this forum and there will be some threads by people with his brkts for you to read.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm 6'2 and had a scrambler and sold it for a thruxton. You should have adequate leg room w/ the scrambler. If you have off road areas where you live, the scram is fun, if you dont (like me) you might want a street only bike

I have the thruxton and added helibars to make it higher. That and the rear sets seems to work well for us taller riders. Can go for a few hrs w/ little discomfort.

Dave-

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I checked and by holding the rt side T100 carrier up next to the Scrambler carrier on the 'bike it looks like that the Scrambler peg is about 3/4 inch lower, i.e. there's more legroom.( That works out for me as I left an inch or so of my left femur beside a racetrack one day and I fit the 'bike better this way)
I don't think the Modre kit will work on a Scrambler as the peg pivot is cast into the carrier, the T100 bolts on and I imagine the modre brkt bolts to the carrier hole.
The Scrambler seat height is mainly down to the longer shocks and the shocks are one of the first things people seem to upgrade. So, if you bought a T100, put on the Modre kit, replaced the rear shocks with Scrambler/Thruxton length shocks to replace the ground clearance that the Modre kit loses then you would be good to go. It might be worth the trip to a dealer to check the Scrambler for fit 'cos that would be the easiest, and you get the high pipes.
Spending other peoples money is always fun, ask my ex-wife.
p.s. I'd advise against shortening your legs to fit the bike, it sucks.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
It doesn't look to me like Modres kit will work on the Scram. I'm a couple of inches shorter than you,and I would like more legroom also.I am looking into adding an inch,or so,of foam to my seat,and fabbing up some kind of peg lowering set-up. I'd like about 2" more between seat,and pegs myself.I think they'd be better about 2'' further back,as well,but that opens a whole new can of worms.

Cheers!
Bruce

·
Registered
745 Posts
the new design with the forged clevis might be a bit tricky to drop due to width concerns unless you tuck it back under. I was told it was an 08 change.

I'm pretty burnt out on making those brackets for folks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm 6'5" and ride a scrambler, I've been on 7 hour rides and felt the leg room was plenty, I may change the seat for a gel seat but that's a different issue. I say the bike is big enough, feels a lot taller than the bonnie.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was the opinion I was hoping for. I've got to get to a dealer somewhere who has one. I wish Triumph would be at the Cycle World Bike shows so we could see all the models up close...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Modre, sorry to hear that you are burned out making lowering brackets. I was hoping to get a set for my 2008 Bonneville this winter. Oh well, should you change your mind I would buy a set in a heartbeat. Gotta respect a man who knows when to say when though...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am 6'6" and ride a Scrambler. The Bonneville was unbearable, but the inch of legroom that you gain with the Scrambler does make a difference. I would take another half inch if I could, but not bad. I might rework the seat padding in the future, so that it doesn't slope down toward the tank. I rode it on an 800 mile trip last summer, no problem. One nice thing about these bikes is you can scoot back on the seat for a few minutes (as long as you don't have a passenger) to lessen your leg bend.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am 6'6" and ride a Bonneville T100. For rides of 150 miles or less it's OK. But I rode it from Omaha, NE to Lexington, OH last summer for Vintage Motorcycle days. That hurt!

So I thought about what I could do after I returned from that trip.

I bought a set of Jim's spacers to raise the handlebars 1". That helps some. I also put highway pegs on so that I could stretch out my legs once in awhile. I don't really like having my feet out forward away from the controls, but for a minute or two it helps. I don't much like the looks of the highway pegs (and mounting bar) on my T100 either.

Earlier this winter I got a peg lowering kit from Modre. I have not installed it yet since I haven't been riding due to winter conditions. I'll install the kit before I resume riding in the Spring. I think once I do that I'll be able to remove the highway peg bar. I'll only put it on when I'm going to make a long trip. I put Oberon foot pegs on the bike. They are smaller than the stock pegs so I don't really think I'll have any issues with cornering clearance when I install the peg lowering kit. They don't trap my feet like the stock pegs did either.

I also have a Scrambler gel seat. It doesn't have the dip up front in the rider portion, so I'm up just a little bit higher. But it isn't a huge difference (one inch or less). I don't really like the gel, so I'm thinking about having the seat redone at a local shop. I'll decide after I ride some with the peg lowering kit installed. But I could probably get another inch of lift out of that seat if I need to.

Just waiting for winter to go away - then we'll see. But I am optimistic that these changes will make my next long ride on the Bonneville a much more pleasant experience.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gel seat

I'm 6'5" and ride a scrambler, I've been on 7 hour rides and felt the leg room was plenty, I may change the seat for a gel seat but that's a different issue. I say the bike is big enough, feels a lot taller than the bonnie.
Hi Desper, If you don't ride two up then get the single seat with rack from Triumph it's soooooooo comfy, like riding a totally different machine. It is the best mod i made to mine. Or the Bonnie seat is more comfy than the Scrambler plank anyway, often see them on ebay.
Steve.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well I got the opposite problem, I'm 5'6" & my legs/knees don't even rest up on the knee pads & because of the angle of my legs & feet I had to drop the gear lever down a spline so I could downshift without lifting my foot.
Anyone else had that problem ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leg Room

I'd suggest riding the T100 and the Scrambler back to back. I did that last sUmmer at demo days. I am 5'11 32" inseam. I prefered the leg room and wide handlenars on the Scrambler. However I did not like the Scrambler pipe holding my right leg out away from the bike. Probably the best feel would be a Srambler with aftermarket low pipes or pipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts