Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up to those who buy their copy of "Motorcyclist" off the news stand.

There's a good hop-up article in the January 2009 issue of "Motorcyclist" with observations on the stock Scrambler, followed by a description of a Scrambler build-up by Bill Himmelsbach, who works at what was formerly Martin Eurosports, north of Philadelphia. Bill uses lots of pieces and parts from aftermarket suppliers commonly discussed on this site.

Bob

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have that article. If you add up the cost of their conversion it's about $9000 in parts alone! That's insane.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have that article. If you add up the cost of their conversion it's about $9000 in parts alone! That's insane.
I quit adding after I plugged in the Ohlins shocks and Thunderbike headers and mufflers. However, we both know there are far less costly exhaust systems and rear shocks. Every time I see the 906 kit, which requires a rebore and a Nikasil replate to gain 41cc, I tell myself there must be a much less expensive way to boost compression without reboring .... ie, using a piston with the same dome shape in a stock bore size.

Thing I found interesting in the article was the comment that Triumph should provide a kit (or should simply have made a factory Scram available at additional cost for those that wanted some more hp).

Another interesting point in the article was .... they are claiming over 70hp at the rear wheel, and they changed out nearly everything except the Keihin CV carbs (I think the 38mm size was a misprint). In light of another thread on the forum (CV vs slide carbs) it would be interesting to hear from this builder about why he chose to retain the CVs. My guess ... maybe a little less WOT hp for a more rideable bike throughout the rpm range. But what do I know?

Bob

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Mike - it wasn't all engine work.There were some big buck, non engine (not internal) items:
Thunderbike exhaust - $1495
Penske racing shocks - $2390
Almost $4k!

Other big buck items
Big bore kit - $999
Camshafts from South Bay - $795

Then there's
light flywheel
billet intakes
a/box kit
tach kit
bar kit
Barnett clutch
Excel rims
a bunch more that would take too long to key in.

I agree, if it was all engine hop up, for this kind of $$ it could have been turbo'd!!

Still a good article, and it gets the Triumph name in front of a normally V twin and Japanese sport bike audience.

Bob

·
Registered
515 Posts
The thruxton has 70hp, couldnt they just put that engine in and save thousands if all they wanted was more HP?

By that time the 270* vs 360* engine is almost a moot point

1 - 8 of 8 Posts