Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the relatively inexpensive handlebar brace kit and pad for my Scrambler, thinking it would take about 10 minutes to install. Then after I got home and opened everything, I find the intructions run for several pages, starting with procedures like "disconnect the battery, remove the right handlebar weight, remove the grip, remove the throttle cables, remove everything else on each end of the handlebars, etc." It seems that the small metal braces that come with the set have to be slipped into position by first removing EVERYTHING that's in the way, on both left and right sides of the handlebars, such as the mirrors, hand grips, throttle controls, switch housings, etc. Why didn't Triumph design a brace that has 2-piece mounting hardware for the handlebars, rather than what comes with the set? This will take quite a while to fix, and I may have to order a replacement rubber hand grip for the left side after I probably have to tear off the stock left side grip. What a pain! :mad:

[ This message was edited by: Scrambler900 on 2006-12-04 20:13 ]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just remove the right grip assembly, and undo the bars and slide everything on from the right. and don't touch the left grip. worked for me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Simple solution, as I had the same problem, after careful consideration came up with this.
Take a hacksaw, and cut a fine kerf cut in the back of the brackets,effectivly making them a two peice.
The cut cant be seen because its at the bottom of the bar and you save about 1hr in time.
The clamps still grip just as tight, hope this helps, Rod :-D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I too was surprised at the complexity of the instructions, thinking it would be a simple bolt on part. But in reality it doesn't take long at all, if you use compressed air to pop off the grips and pop them back on again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I puchased the pad from Triumph, but got the brace off an old set of Renthal bars, found at wreckers for the princly sum of $10.00.
When trail bikes crash they often bend their aluminium bars and the brace is unaffected, because Renthal and other such bars come with brace included the bars just get tossed.
Talk to your local wreckers, you might be surprised. Rod :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts