Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, another one of those Bonneville seat questions.

I plan on replacing the standard with either of these two options as I am looking for two things out of my new seat, I want it to be a bit thicker as I am on the tall side with long legs and a higher seat would make the bike fit a bit better. The second reason for these two choices is that I like to move around on the seat and just don't like the defined seating position that any of the molded or single seats offer, they also force me to sit further forward than I really like.(That's why I plan on selling my Corbin G/L). I've heard some good things about Sargent(?), any idea how this would compare to the Scrambler Gel?

·
Registered
173 Posts

I plan on replacing the standard with either of these two options as I am looking for two things out of my new seat, I want it to be a bit thicker as I am on the tall side with long legs and a higher seat would make the bike fit a bit better. The second reason for these two choices is that I like to move around on the seat and just don't like the defined seating position that any of the molded or single seats offer, they also force me to sit further forward than I really like.(That's why I plan on selling my Corbin G/L). I've heard some good things about Sargent(?), any idea how this would compare to the Scrambler Gel?
Having owned both I can say that far as comfort level they are about equal. The Sargents is a bit firmer, but with much better material. Go with waht is cheaper both are good. Sold my Sargents(to a member who loved it) only because I went with a thruxton/cowl gel seat, wanted the cafe look.

Andy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having owned both I can say that far as comfort level they are about equal. The Sargents is a bit firmer, but with much better material. Go with waht is cheaper both are good. Sold my Sargents(to a member who loved it) only because I went with a thruxton/cowl gel seat, wanted the cafe look.

Andy
Charro was that direct from triumph? Have thrux and want to keep a cowl on but need more comfort than stock seat. Crazy there are not more options.

·
Registered
25 Posts
my scram stock seat is plenty comfy and allows any position I want. Perhaps you could find a stock scram seat on the cheap on Ebay?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd weigh the options of how much a new seat will cost and how much it would cost to have a motorcycle seat upholsterer add some foam to your stock seat.

I bet you could add a few inches without it looking too terrible.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Custom Sargent

For what it's worth, the stock seat is a plank. Scrambler Gel was a bit better. Triumph Solo better yet. There is no magic bullet but (no pun) a custom Sargent comes closest provided you give them precisely what you want. Have a look at these. My pal's version is more dished and both are higher than stock. Cost was ~ $350 complete and you supply an old seat pan. (I have thinner piping on mine BTW>) http://www.triumphrat.net/members/albums/48473-lambroving/

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the gel seat (white piping) on my 2010 Scram. I weigh 185 lbs. and I find it to be quite firm. With the stock shocks the firmness made it seem slightly uncomfortable, but since switching to Hagons, things are much better. It could also be that the seat is breaking in, or perhaps my butt is breaking in. Either way, I don't notice the seat anymore, which is the whole point of a comfortable seat. :p

BTW, I'll be posting a ride report on the Hagons soon.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Charro was that direct from triumph? Have thrux and want to keep a cowl on but need more comfort than stock seat. Crazy there are not more options.
If you want comfy with a cowl, have a think about the single seat with rack. I've got the stock scram seat, the scram gell seat and the single seat with rack, and it's by far the most comfortable, and it has the holes to attach the cowl.

bob

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have the single seat with the rack. It is super comfortable and is nothing close to the taint killer my Thruxton seat is. I took the rack off and bolted up the cowl. No mods needed direct bolt on change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have tried a number of seat options - I am 6ft 1 inches 220lbs, you must squirm around like me LFord I can never stay in one position too long (think its the leg length). heres my take - Stock seat/gel seat the gel is a little more comfy but I'm not sure its worth the $ - The '68' single seat with the rack is more curved and the cushion part ends about an inch past the strap on the stock scrambler seat, the advantage of the single/rack seat is the height - it puts at least an inch height on the bike and is curved for comfort, I find it great for long distance with enough room to shuffle my bum about, the down side for me is the look (I like the piping and classic look of the ironing board seat) and also my kids like to two up with me from time to time so the gel wins out. In conclusion Single 68 with rack - best comfort for single rider - gel with piping for looks and two up....Or be like me and swap them out depending on what kind of riding your doing...
here is a couple of comparison shots for ya!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626913810968/

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you like the look of the stock seat, or maybe you just want it lowered/raised a little and made ALOT more comfy, check out this guy:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I've heard good things about him, he's very reasonably priced and I'm planning to send my seat for a repadding in the next month or so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reply from Spencer moto seats. Amazing

Jonathan,
Thank you for your interest in my work.*
Your*Thruxton seat pan is fairly flat but does have a hump up*in the nose that only becomes an issue if you ride really close to the tank.*This hump in the nose does cause some*riders concern*with the more forward position on the Thruxton, but I pay special attention to relieve as much pressure along the frontal mid line as possible. The pan shape does allow the forming of an actual seating pocket, so that you sit more in the seat rather than on it.* This distributes your weight across the entire width of the seat rather than concentrating it in the center.* I do recommend the Supracor suspension in the LD mod for all the bench style Bonneville seats because of the flat profile. It allows for more form fitting support, reduces vibration in the seat, and dampens road shock.**The*Supracor works for the rider because it is a dynamic material with an instant rebound.* It moves with you, working with your weight shifts for proper bike control.* If you use a material in the riders section that "takes a set" it locks you in one position and fights against you.* This is the main problem with foams as the rider is constantly moving, even while cruising the highway you are making small corrections in your weight distribution. You can find more information about the material HERE.

Pricing would be the standard minimum for a single piece seat of $50 for the actual work to the riders area and*a $25 material charge for Supracor.
My process works from within the stock foam form itself, creating a new internal shape and supporting structure. The external look of the seat does not change much at all and the stock cover is reinstalled. You can find some examples on my web sites Gallery page. With modification of your Thruxton seat you will*maintain proper fit and mounting of the rear seat cowl.*Please do not send the cowl with your seat, no need to risk it being damaged in shipping.
A photo of*you in riding position is helpful and appreciated, but not an absolute necessity.*Each seat is set up specifically for the rider so any additional information you think I may need regarding your position, type of riding, any medical concerns you may have should be listed in the special instructions area on the order form.* When you think you have given me too much information, just a little more should be about right.

Please ship at your convenience, all that I ask is that you drop me note when you do so that I can properly set my schedule.* My current turnaround*even with the spring rush is*still no more than 48 hours so your only real downtime will be in shipping.* If you visit my web site you can find the order form as well as*my FAQ page which contains more information regarding shipping, payment, and a bunch (probably too much) general information. Contact me any time if you have questions.

Thanks again and have a great weekend, Spencer

www.GreatDayToRide.com
Now offering Amsoil, Mothers, and Brite Side products.

In a message dated 6/8/2011 10:30:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Hi Spencer. I have a new thruxton and my saddle and I are not getting along. Can you help?* I'm 5'8" 175. I want the cowl to stay on and the possibility of taking a passenger.* I hear you work magic.* Let me know!

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you like the look of the stock seat, or maybe you just want it lowered/raised a little and made ALOT more comfy, check out this guy:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I've heard good things about him, he's very reasonably priced and I'm planning to send my seat for a repadding in the next month or so.

I got my stock Scram plank reworked by Spencer. Def comfier but unfortunately he doesn't raise the seat any - tho can lower it a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts