Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have been fine with the height of the stock Scrambler footpegs I wanted something a little further back so that my size 13 vintage Hi-Point boots would fit between the peg and shifter. There is not enough room for me to keep my foot below the shifter even with the shifter adjusted up as far as it could go (without hitting the case). Rear sets are too far back for my liking and it does not solve the footpeg to shifter clearance problem I have anyway.

So, my solution, use a pair of footpegs from the America/Speedmaster. Those pegs do not have the forward cantilever as the Bonneville line. Mounted to the Scrambler (or Bonnevilles), they are approximately the same height, same footrest width, maybe ¼ inch closer to the engine (for those of you that scrape your pegs a lot), but, about ¾ inch further back. Perfect!! The width of the clevis mount is about 0.10 inch less than the stock pegs so I installed a shim/washer on either side of the clevis to take up the difference. Other than that they fit perfectly with no modifications whatsoever.

I cannot say whether they will be as strong as the stock pegs due to the thickness difference, but as these do not have the same forward cantilever they should do fine unless you plan on trying to clear some double jumps on an arena-cross track (or weigh over 700 pounds).

These two pictures will give you an idea of the difference in front to back position with the stock peg ...

and the new peg ...

And here are right ...

and left side views of the new pegs installed ...

Notice I get the “50 Year Limited Edition Bonneville” Triumph logo on the pegs too boot.

The part numbers for the foot pegs are:

Left side: T2080548
Right side: T2080549

They sold for about $50 each from my local Triumph shop

I used 18-8 stainless flat washers for the shims that are .406”ID x 1.00”OD x .049”thk.

See what you think …..

Paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been agonizing for a long time ...

... about what to do for footpegs. I actually made a pair of very nice serrated ones from some aftermarket Suzuki pegs but they did not look right on the bike to me. Picture here of before and after modifications ...

I know it's silly, but I am trying very hard to keep a kind of classic look to my Scrambler and wanted rubber pegs with the Triumph logo on them as they were shipped in the 50s and 60's. I was half tempted to put on a set from the 50th anniversary Bonneville but those were over double the price of the America ones and did not address the space issue. I looked at the Oberons originally but they do not fit the "style" I am looking for, plus I would need to buy two pairs to keep the rider and passenger pegs looking the same.

I am pretty finicky (my wife calls it anal) about my motorcycles!!!
PD

another option is oberon pegs...they're free of offset and are quite a bit thinner too.

http://newbonneville.com/html/oberon_parts.html

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
208 Posts
Speedy/America pegs look way cooler than o.e.m.

Huge thanks to the original poster for an incredibly useful post... I dropped my Scrambler after a Florida rain storm when I was backing out of the car port and a little gully had formed near the car port... I put my right foot down and the ground was about 2-3 inches lower than usual and she tilted a little too far and the laws of physics took over and she hit the point of no return and fell, something I'll bet a lot of you can relate to...

the only damage was the "collapsible" peg that hit just the wrong way and the cast metal o.e.m. right peg snapped like a twig... i did a search on here and was able to use a rear peg on the front which was another big help because I ride year round in Florida and don't own or want a cage... the price we pay for our love of British steel is way overpriced parts that take weeks to get across the pond... the local shop wanted $96 for one Scrambler peg and Bike Bandit wasn't much better at $78 with shipping...

I got my best e-bay score ever from a guy who had an '05 Speedmaster and had put on floorboards when she was new and the brand new pegs sat in a drawer until he came across them and posted them... I got the pair for only $32 with shipping and it included all of bolts, springs, C-clips and even the chrome mounting brackets which will go in the spares bin for when I get a Speedy or America... they really are even better than o.e.m. on the Scrambler because they've got the Triumph logo and will look even better than the new... thanks again to the o.p. for pointing me in a direction that turned a replacement into a sweet upgrade...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts