Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

This is embarrasing as hell, so bear with me. I've had my bike on the road for three days and I can't get the petrol tank cap off. seriously. I had it off once....now I need to fill up and have tried turning, pushing, pulling...no luck. Luckily I had enough to get home in the pouring rain....help.

Thanks

:cool:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Guys,

This is embarrasing as hell, so bear with me. I've had my bike on the road for three days and I can't get the petrol tank cap off. seriously. I had it off once....now I need to fill up and have tried turning, pushing, pulling...no luck. Luckily I had enough to get home in the pouring rain....help.

Thanks

if it's anything like the Bonneville cap, you have to push down on it while turning it anti clockwise. I had trouble with it at first too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It should just unscrew...it will turn freely a couple of turns then you'll feel it come loose. Just like putting it on you want to turn it until the first "click".

·
Registered
425 Posts
Had the same problem after the 1st fill, use a soft filter strap to remove it or gloves to get a grip on the cap.

When you refit the cap only do it up until you feel the O ring seal, I did mine up until the 1st click & could not remove it.

Happened to me 2 times, that's 2 times to many

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had the same problem after the 1st fill, use a soft filter strap to remove it or gloves to get a grip on the cap.

When you refit the cap only do it up until you feel the O ring seal, I did mine up until the 1st click & could not remove it.

Happened to me 2 times, that's 2 times to many
Got It!! Gentlemen, I thank you for your diligence and wisdom..

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Excellent - forewarned is forearmed. Had the same problem with a T100 loaner a couple of years ago. Nearly kicked the bloody thing over in frustration (not to mention embarrassment on the forecourt!)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Jon, There are a couple aftermarket alternatives at newbonneville.com.They're both a bit spendy,but both are quite functional and great looking additions to your bike.I installed the Monza type fuel cap.I got the brushed aluminum,as it matches up with my Scrambler better and have read that the finish on the chrome ones was pi$$ poor.The other alternative is the aluminum gas cap for about $50 cheaper.This one comes in black or brushed aluminum.The design of this cap insures even a nancy boy would have no problem unscrewing it.Check them out and see what you think.

·
30,517 Posts
I had the same thing happen - I just put it on way too tight.

It's the only thing I took the bike back to the dealer for.....boy was I embarrassed!

Still, these things happen. Glad all is well now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I got the Bonnie I found it just about impossible to remove unless the tank was near empty, then it would come off first attempt. I was wondering if it was related to the pressure of the petrol in the tank but after 800km or so it got easier, so I stopped worrying. :)

I met a mechanic with 50 years old school Triumph experience who took his new Scrambler back to the shop and demanded a replacement for the same thing.

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
It should loosen over time.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jon, There are a couple aftermarket alternatives at newbonneville.com.They're both a bit spendy,but both are quite functional and great looking additions to your bike.I installed the Monza type fuel cap.I got the brushed aluminum,as it matches up with my Scrambler better and have read that the finish on the chrome ones was pi$$ poor.The other alternative is the aluminum gas cap for about $50 cheaper.This one comes in black or brushed aluminum.The design of this cap insures even a nancy boy would have no problem unscrewing it.Check them out and see what you think.
Thanks for the tip, that is a great site! They have some great prices on accessories....:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yep, ran into the problem this afternoon on my new to me Scrambler. I'd had the cap off once just out of curiosity, and screwed it back on 'til it clicked. I had to use both hands at the station to get enough grip to remove it. I stopped before the click when I put it back on.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Why Oh Why can't Triumph fix this!!!

It has been a problem for years with all versions of the Bonnie (not the America I think). Surely the engineers at Triumph can come up with a solution. I know that it isn't a major issue but it can be worrying/embarrassing for newbies standing at the petrol pumps with an empty tank.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Excellent - forewarned is forearmed. Had the same problem with a T100 loaner a couple of years ago. Nearly kicked the bloody thing over in frustration (not to mention embarrassment on the forecourt!)
Me, too! Exactly! :mad:

Summer day - apparently it has something to do with heat and vapor expansion in the tank.

I wound up taking the loaner back home (didn't think I had enough gas to make it back to the dealer to pick up my own BMW), putting it in the garage overnight, then early the next morning the friggin' cap came off like it was saying, "wassamattaU?"

Having no idea that this was a common issue and being something of a noob at the time, I was stark raving embarrassed calling the dealer to tell them I couldn't unscrew a gas cap!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts