Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2012 Scrambler since June and I've put around 2500 miles on it now. I took it to the dealer for the first service around 600 miles.

Well, ever since, I've had to use the fast idle to warm up the bike or it cranks down. The dealer mechanic said this is standard, and you should always use the fast idle... but I'm not convinced. Has anyone else run into this issue? The thing that concerns me is say I ride the bike to work (about 25 a minute ride), if I go to crank it up after 10 minutes of being off, it will crank down after a few seconds (without using the quick idle). I looked and looked but couldn't find a thread on here about this specific issue (please point to it if there is one).

It seems to me like the bike should warm up after a little riding and not need the quick idle again. Please keep in mind I live in New Mexico, so it's been blazing 100 plus when I've had this issue. I do live at around 4300 ft though... not sure how much that is a factor.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be helpful...

·
Registered
302 Posts
warrewp,

You should not have to use the fast idle but it helps when the engin has cooled down. There are two positions, all the way out is the start up fast idle and when you push it in a little the idle will drop some.

My bike seems to cool down in just a few minutes even in hot weather. I use it because my idle drops very low without it until it gets to running temp.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That doesn't sound right. I've got a 2012 Scrambler also (with roughly 2k miles) and I constantly forget to use the fast idle when starting, and it's been in the 50-60's (and I'm in Utah at about 5k ft) when I leave for work in the mornings. I have no problems other than it's freaking cold in the morning.

Sorry I can't help pinpoint the problem, but mine is almost identical and not having the same issue.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
If the idle speed is adjusted correctly, i.e. around 1000 rpm (set when engine is hot), this shoudn't be happening.

If you have no tachometer get the shop to do it using their Factory diagnostic tool. Doing it by ear is not good enough.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike seems to cool down in just a few minutes even in hot weather. I use it because my idle drops very low without it until it gets to running temp.
Garoid,
Well, I do not have a temperature gauge on the bike, but it certainly doesn't seem to cool down much, especially in the summer. My buddy who I ride with has a Ducati, and his bike usually stays warm after a good ride for a least 30 minutes if not longer on a good hot day (he has a gauge).

That doesn't sound right. I've got a 2012 Scrambler also (with roughly 2k miles) and I constantly forget to use the fast idle when starting, and it's been in the 50-60's (and I'm in Utah at about 5k ft) when I leave for work in the mornings. I have no problems other than it's freaking cold in the morning.

Sorry I can't help pinpoint the problem, but mine is almost identical and not having the same issue.
Thanks potato_peeler, that is kind of what I wanted to hear so I have some justification when I take it back to the dealer. I really didn't think this kind of thing was "normal" but this is only my second bike and my first bike with a quick idle.

If the idle speed is adjusted correctly, i.e. around 1000 rpm (set when engine is hot), this shoudn't be happening.

If you have no tachometer get the shop to do it using their Factory diagnostic tool. Doing it by ear is not good enough.
Forchetto,
So, I've got a tach, and I'm pretty sure it idles right at 1000 rpm, if not a tiny bit above. However, in the morning I'll take it out and look to see if its idling where it should. Is altering the idle a simple fix? Or is there a lot involved?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a EFI Thruxton & during winter I would start the engine then put the fast idle knob...I have a steep uphill driveway & it's stalled a few times when I didn't use the fast idle.

But a hundred yards down the road I can turn it off & don't need it again so as suggested adjust the idle or go back & see the mechanic.

Terry

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welp, thanks guys! Hopefully this thread will help the next person with this issue. I tuned that knob below the quick idle to hit 1000 rpm. Sure enough, when hot, I was idling around 800 rpm. Now it starts and stays on without the quick idle like it should.

Forchetto, I was hoping you might pick up my thread and respond with some Jedi Master wisdom, and you did. Thank you sir!

I'm a little disappointed that my dealer mechanic thinks the quick idle "should always be used, even in 100 degree weather."

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh, I thought you were talking about the choke knob that with the EFI is more like a fast idle than a choke. I have never had to adjust the idle knob on mine.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm a little disappointed that my dealer mechanic thinks the quick idle "should always be used, even in 100 degree weather."
I think you'll find that's what is advised in your owner's manual if you read it.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I think you'll find that's what is advised in your owner's manual if you read it.
True, I'll quote it here one more time:

• If the engine is cold, pull out the choke, noting the following: Above 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke to the first position. Below 25°C air temperature, pull out the
choke fully.

If the engine is partly warm, pull out the choke to the first position.

• Leaving the throttle completely closed, push the starter button until the engine starts.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
warrewp,

You should not have to use the fast idle but it helps when the engin has cooled down. There are two positions, all the way out is the start up fast idle and when you push it in a little the idle will drop some.

This is from the EFi handbook:

"If the engine is cold, pull out the choke, noting the following: Above 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke to the first position.

Below 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke fully.

Leaving the throttle completely closed, push the starter button until the engine starts.

Release the clutch lever slowly.

During warm-up, gradually push the choke in a little at a time as necessary to prevent the engine from racing or stalling."

Why do it any other way than the handbook says - because it works perfectly like that.

Dave

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
True, I'll quote it here one more time:

• If the engine is cold, pull out the choke, noting the following: Above 25°C air temperature, pull out the choke to the first position. Below 25°C air temperature, pull out the
choke fully.

• Leaving the throttle completely closed, push the starter button until the engine starts.

Drat you Ernesto, you're too quick on the keyboard !!!:eek::eek::mad::mad:

·
Registered
805 Posts
I got my bike in April and until the last couple days when we had our first cold front come through, I've not needed the fast idle. I will have to start using it during these cold months.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 2012 Thruxton starts better without using the "choke" at all but works either way. The other night it was 35 F and it fired right up no "choke".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts