Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put driving lights on a scrambler? Is there any way to do it that is unobtrusive and looks cool? I'm interested in increasing my visibility and making my bike more conspicuous with all the crazies out there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Has anyone put driving lights on a scrambler? Is there any way to do it that is unobtrusive and looks cool? I'm interested in increasing my visibility and making my bike more conspicuous with all the crazies out there.

Any help would be much appreciated!
I am looking for the same thing. Anyone? I'm thinking of fog lights on my engine dresser bars. The headlight is pure crap.

·
Registered
781 Posts
What about something like this? This is one of our prototype lighting kits with running lights hardwired in. The fronts look the same.

-brent

·
Registered
363 Posts
What about something like this? This is one of our prototype lighting kits with running lights hardwired in. The fronts look the same.

-brent
I personally like the stock turn signals. If I wanted tiny little billet racing signals, I'd have bought a Suzuki. What we need is an aftermarket headlight tray that wont melt.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Headlight / Fog lights

Ditto. Went riding one night with my brother ('07 Vulcan 1500) and the headlight on my Scrambler was completely swallowed by the the light cast from the Vulcan riding behind me.
I knew the headlight was weak but didn't realize how weak until that night.

·
Premium Member
13,186 Posts
I've been wondering the same myself. But isn't the electrical system a bit weak? I remember reading another thread on how you need to increase the wiring size to cope with an increased load. Any auto-electricians out there care to comment?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It is weak because it doesn't have to run a fuel pump, cooling fan and fuel injection computer/components. It's a 27-amp alternator, and at cruising puts out around 350 watts. I'm not sure what the total bike load would be with everything running, but I think you have at least a 100 watts to spare, if not more. I'd search the forums or the internet for something more definitive, however.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Driving lights

I have used the Hella FF200s for about six months without any capacity trouble. Same as you, I did the research and calculations and the 55 watt lights appear close to maximum. In winter, I choose either the heated vest or the lights when riding at night. I do have extra 35 watt bulbs on hand in case I need to reduce the load but so far so good. Unsure about attaching photos but I was able to upload a photo of the set up to my member album.

img]http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/data/500/medium/driving_lights_2.jpg[/img]

Mike

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Mike, I can't tell from the pic., but it looks like the added lights are mounted to the engine dresser bars? Also, what are the clear plastic lenses just below the front turn signal? Some kind of farring maybe?
Pat

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's right they are clamped onto the engine guard using some short wings made from aluminum angle to the mount the lights . I bought 1.25 inch dia. chrome clamps to fit the rentec bars. The dresser bars don't appear to be that large but the clamps are available in several diameters.

Yes, that is the lower part of a parabellum sport shield. I have two photos in the member album that show the whole bike. Look for dbmike.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
410 Posts
It is weak because it doesn't have to run a fuel pump, cooling fan and fuel injection computer/components. It's a 27-amp alternator, and at cruising puts out around 350 watts. I'm not sure what the total bike load would be with everything running, but I think you have at least a 100 watts to spare, if not more. I'd search the forums or the internet for something more definitive, however.
You should have 183 watts available. Since you shouldn't go beyond 80% of that, that leaves 146 to use.

A carbed bike uses less watts to run (195) than a FI one. 14 volts x 27 amps = 378 total watts produced.

If anyone is interested, I have these clear 55 watt lights for sale in clear for $70 now:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/driving-lights/dl_performance.htm

PM me if interested. They'll include the two hose clamps that easily connected them to the upper bonnie forks. Very nice lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts