Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I eliminate the air injection and the oxygen sensors on an air cooled 2016 Scrambler and then "uncheck" those items using TuneECU, does the bike default back to an internal open loop map under idle and steady running conditions?

I'd like to make sure that unchecking those items doesn't just turn off the "code" light but leave the bike looking for the O2 sensor input at idle or running in some sort of "emergency" mode.

Best regards,
Rich

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
You will need to follow the reset adaptation procedure after deleting and reprogramming. Plenty of instructions on doing that for the air cooled twins, just search the forum.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm good to go on the reset procedure. Not happy about idling for 20 minutes but I've got some serious fans we used for the racebikes in a former life.

Just wanted to make sure whatever map it defaults to for low rpm/steady state is something usable not just some "limp home" function! :wink2:

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
If you remove the O2 sensors your bike will revert to using the fueling maps for fueling in the areas of the map that the O2 sensors covered. If your Scrambler has a standard airbox and exhaust system, you shouldn't have too much trouble, but if you have made some mods, your engine may run too lean on a standard tune/map.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both.

A) I didn't realize that the "reset procedure" was based on oil temperature. I thought it was time dependent!

B) This is an interim step until my pipe (Tec Tracker) arrives, and I get it mounted... ;-)

Once the pipe is installed I will figure out if I want to run it with the baffle in or out. Presumably with "baffle in" the stock map less air injection and O2 sensors will be OK.

If I decide to run the pipe without the baffle then I will go ahead and install the Breathe cover and remove the airbox baffle so I can match with one of the TTP maps.

Any foreseen problems with that plan?

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
Once the O2 sensors have been removed, the reset adaption procedure is all about TPS calibration to the new tune. Idle the engine from cold until the TPS light comes on in TuneECU or TTP TuneLoader, which is usually between 63°-67° or roughly 20 minutes, do not touch the throttle during this time.

No problems with your plan, but Tracker "baffle in" will reduce torque & power right across the rev range. We used the Tracker system with the baffle out, but we did take out the existing baffle material and used Acousta-Fil baffle material to give a nice deep sound.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the clarification on the reset procedure.

I was suspicious that the Tracker would lose horsepower with the baffle in. I looked at the muffler volume compared with the two cross connected stock cans and thought... hmmm.... :wink2:

Reminds me of the Drag Specialties "turn out" pipes we used to put on Yamaha XS650 choppers. We never dared to tell the customers that the re-jetting procedure meant going three sizes leaner on the main jet and a smaller pilot to boot!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should clarify that my rush to get the Tracker pipe on before the rest of the intake mods is because my wife will need anger management counseling if she has to ride with the high pipes more than a few more miles! :surprise:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update-

I removed the O2 sensors and the air injection, installed the Tec 2/1 Tracker and the bike ran fine with the baffle in the Tracker.

Pulled the baffle out of the Tracker and installed the Arrow 2/1 Triumph map. Bike generally ran fine but had a flat spot between 3,800 and 4,100 RPM at about 1/4 throttle.

Per a suggestion on the list I installed the Triumph map for the Arrow intended for 25% Ethanol.

That change greatly reduced the flat spot. Hurray! But the bike was noticeably rich, (which may have masked the flat spot) and mileage dropped off.

Sooo...

My Breathe airbox cover arrived and I installed it as well as removing the internal airbox baffle. Then I installed the Triumph Twin Power map #4 for the 865 Scrambler.

Woohoo! My impression is that it makes better power in the midrange as well as not "falling off" so quickly above 6,000 rpm. It runs and pulls much more "crisply" and I suspect I am now running leaner in many areas than the Triumph 25% map and probably leaner than the 10% Triumph map.

Since I made three changes at once (Breathe Cover, Airbox Baffle Removal and TTP Map) I can't break down the biggest contributor to the improved performance but I am very pleased with the package.

There is a slight flat spot remaining but it's around 3,200 RPM at about 15-25% throttle and that's not an area where it bothers me or where I spend any time. It may just be an effect of the Tec 2/1 header pipe length, Y pipe length, diameter and can length coming together with cam timing etc. Especially considering the Tracker was intended for a 360 degree motor!

I'm not smart enough to figure that part out although the basic Tec pipe dimensions aren't too different from what we used to run on 650 Yamahas when tuning for midrange.

Very pleased with the complete package.

I did retain my paper filter because I prefer a paper element. (Don't tell anyone!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts