Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put on my new D&D's (and 45 pilot jet, 3 turns out). Scrambler started and ran great...and sounds great!

Problem: the muffler to exhaust pipe joint leaks like a sieve! What is the best solution for the Scram? Should I just use hi-temp RTV? Is there a better way, like muffler tape (especially since I can hardly wait the 24 hour cure time!) They leak quite a bit and I'm not sure whether the RTV will do it.

Anyone put the D&D's on...what did you do?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Did you ditch the fabric sleeves that were with the original exhaust? They look like they are asbestos or something, but I'm sure they're not.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still have them but they don't fit the D&D's. The OD of the D&D's is much larger than the OD of the original mufflers. The sleeves look like stainless fabric with a thin sheet swaged on where they fit into the muffler. Pretty nice idea, really. I guess D&D is going for the max pipe ID, so made them bigger than the OEM.

I was just being impatient - I want to go ride, not wait for sealant to cure! I just gooped the hi-temp RTV on (had some dark gray left over from another project). Clamped 'em down and it seemed to seal up OK.

Let me tell you, this thing sounds wicked now. I'll post up a ride review after I take it out tomorrow...see how much the neighbors smile at me :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts