Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lad's,
Happy New Year to everyone.I trust everybody had a good holiday? Anyway,I was just out in the garage and started sizing things up on the Scrambler to start installing some of the cool stuff I got for Christmas.(no more Homer Simpson boxers!)I figured I would start with the bar brace and pad.According to the folks at Triumph,I have to remove the left hand grip along with the controls in order to slide the crossbar clamp into position.Could I not just unbolt the bars and slide the clamp over from the right side to avoid the risk of wrecking the left hand grip?will the clamp clear the lower bar bends?It sure seems like a lot of dicking around to install a crossbar.One would think that the fine folks at Triumph would have come up with a two piece clamp to avoid stripping the bars.(I sure hope I don't have to remove the engine to install the skid plate and dresser bars! Ha!Ha!)Any feedback would be super.

·
Registered
303 Posts
G,Day ,Landrover, I had the same dilema and after a bit of thought came up with this. If you turn the bar clamps over and take a fine hacksaw blade, 32teeth to the inch, and make a straight cut through the back you effectivly end up with a 2 peice clamp. I did it and it works fine. Hope this helps, Rod :-D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I popped off the left grip with the airhose, and used the same method to pop it back on afterwards. Works great, takes 2 seconds, and you'd never know it has been removed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I took off the throttle side equipment from the handle bar and slid both clamps on. I took the handle bars off and slid the left slid clamp around and remounted the handle bars.

This keeps you from having to remove the grip on the left side, and I think it's the faster way to do it. It's a 30 minute job.

Also, if you take a screw drive and open up the clamps slightly they slide on the bar easier.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect!,thats what I like about online forums,I'm never the first to try something.I'm going try the bar removal method,it seems to be the most direct no nonsense way of executing this procedure.Thanks to everyone for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts