Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2007 Scrambler with 1700 miles on the clock last Saturday. By Tuesday I was back at the dealer's workshop while they ordered a new oil cooler and cam cover gasket, which had both started leaking.

I love the Scrambler's cheery 'eager puppy' demeanour but this particular one needs house training.

Waiting for a call now to say the parts are in and the work can be carried out. I've seen threads discussing the leaking gasket but has anyone else had an oil cooler leak?

One other thing. If I coast on the bike with the clutch held in I get a noise from the front end and wonder if the front brake is dragging? Any experiences of this with the Scrambler?

Despite this I'm delighted with the bike. It just feels absolutely right for where my riding is at.

Happy trails folks

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I don't remember any posts about oil cooler leaks, however there have been a few with oil cooler fitting leaks (new washers for the banjo fittings solve the problem).

Your brake pads may be dragging. Some people have warped rotors. I bought a floating rotor and have never had a problem.

Getting parts can take a long time. Hope you get your bike back soon.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I love the Scrambler's cheery 'eager puppy' demeanour
Ha, ha, Mike. Great description. Soon you may want to invest a little in the engine to make it more of a bulldog.

I never had a leak anywhere, even when having all the engine covers off. If you ever take the cam cover off you will see it's a simple gasket and will seal if all is clean and torqued properly.
I have heard of warped rotors from time-to-time, even had one on my 98 Thunderbird. However, the warp didn't cause any noise, just a throbbing, uneven braking. I did have a little strange noise from the front end when I bought it and cured it easily with louder pipes. Seriously, the dealer can check over the front brake if you have concerns.

Enjoy the bike. Scramblers are great.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
There is a light "buzzing" from the front brakes sometimes, I don't think that's a problem.

The cam cover leak is the most common problem with these engines, luckily it's harmless and easily fixed, and Triumph will do it at no cost to you, if it's still under warranty (two years in the US).

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Also new to Scramblers here, just got a 2006 model with 1600m on the clock. Put 700 on it in the last few days....

I have noticed a similar noise / vibration on mine. I think it is an effect of the 'blocky' tread of the front tyre when riding on smooth tarmac.

I dont plan on going off-road (not many green lanes in London) so when they are worn I'll get 'road' tyres.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think it's the tire too, because knobbies do tend to make more noise on pavement than smooth road tires.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No doubt, it's the tires that give that buzz. Change to Metzler Tourance: good looks for the Scrammie, GREAT handling, and no little lumpies buzz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts