Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correction: Scrambler blew a cam cover gasket.

At the end of a 50 mile ride to one of my area Triumph dealers, I parked my new 2006 Scrambler at the dealerhip's service area to ask about a simple clutch adjustment. I have just 2,100 miles on the bike. That is when I saw oil coming out all around the cam cover gasket.

Hats off to Carolina Triumph/BMW's service department in Greensboro, NC for taking immediate action and fixing the bike, on the spot and at no charge to me, with a new gasket change. THey have a great technician who only does their Triumph work, and he really knows the trade. Great guy. Total time involved was about 90 minutes.

[ This message was edited by: Scrambler900 on 2006-12-04 20:02 ]

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
At least it couldn't have happened at a better time and place.

They probably really like you there... if you bought both your Triumphs from 'em.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
my valve cover gasket has leaked on and off, I've pulled it an sealed with RTV and it doesn't leak anymore, but when I pulled it for the valve lash check at 12,000 miles I didn't re-RTV it, and it leaked again. So I had to remove it and reseal it. Takes about 30 minutes to do.

I used to drive an Acura Integra, great car but mine was kind of a beater (college). I pulled into a shop for routine maintanance (hondas/acuras HAVE to have the timing belt replaced at either 60k or 90k miles or it will blow up).

anyway, right as I pull into the service shop the radiator self destructs. It was glorious, steam 20' high and antifreeze everywhere. I said "and I'll need a new radiator!"

timing is everything!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had two leaks appear on my T100 within the first 6,000 miles or so. One was a galley plug at the front and the other was a gasket of some sort. Both were replaced under warranty and I haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
547 Posts
wow, Scrambler, I really needed to see that post....!! I hope it wasn't the head gasket, but just the valve cover - might go out and check mine is tight. I've gone over a few nuts after 1000ks and tweaked them up a little, including casings and a couple of back wheel spokes that sounded dull. I guess a new machine settles down in the first few thousand ks and needs checking, heard of exhaust bolts loosening too - cheers, Pat

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I stand corrected - it was a valve cover gasket. And, I did not buy my bikes from that partucular dealer, and they did not ask or care, as they will just bill Triumph USA for the warranty work. They don't care where I bought the bikes. THey either get paid by the bike owner for repairs, or bill the factory for warranty work. It's all the same to the service department.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-11-28 22:36, Scrambler900 wrote:
Hats off to Carolina Triumph/BMW's service department in Greensboro, NC
Yah, good for them. Some of us just expect the worse from dealerships. People near that area should take note.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've had my 2007 T100 for about two weeks and there's a leak around the valve cover. Just did not expect this kind of surprise in this day and age. :???:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Quick update. Took the bike in this korning and it might be simply the grease***** wax coating on the engine melting away. However it still needed looking at due to the tat-tat-tat-tat sound . :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
...Dont know what the mechanic was doing for 90 minutes to sort out the valve cover gasket.....must have gone to lunch for an hour ... have had mine off several times, but nothing to do with it leaking......

...couple of tricks...the gasket sits in a recess in the cover all the way around and if this is not correctly positioned it will leak for sure....it's real easy to get little sections not sitting in properly...check it carefully all the way around when re-installing to make sure it is sitting down flush on the head...

...also when replacing the alan( alen..?) head screws that hold it on, make sure they are centralised in the washers.. (these need to be in the right way up too..check how they sit before you take 'em out ).best trick is to visually line up the cam holder screw holes in the centre of the washers, then finger screw in the nuts and then jiggle the cover a little to line them up as necessary ...

...never had a problem with any leak when following this routine....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Now after checking the bike more thoroughly, the agent says there is a problem and they need time to check it. They've been on the phone to Triumph in the UK yet there is a perfectly good local expert who they ciould use. So, they've had the bike for two days and all they've done is made a call. Normally I can get an engine rebuild in that time. I am stuck high and dry without transport even though I hinted at a possible spare set of wheels. What happens in the US, UK and Australia when this kind of thing happens? :evil:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Scrambler had the same valve cover leak around 2k miles, I took it back to the dealership and they said that they had done half a dozen in the last few months and Triumph had asked them to start sending them back to the factory for inspection. The leak went away after the change but that nay have been in no small part to the RTV that was put on there at that time. It wasn't a big deal for me since its British and I was expecting a leak any way :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Someone will take a look at it again today and hopefully it will be back on the road tonight. It's pretty frustrating having bought the machine and losing it after two weeks

·
Registered
204 Posts
I tried to post this whole story in a new topic I BOUGHT A LEMON but it went beserk in the post. Maybe it's something to do with Firefox.

In short, they still have not identified the problem with the bike though they took off the rocker cover. There is something wrong with the valve settings but they don't know.
They say they need it for at least two more weeks.
I reported these problems after nine days to the dealer and distributor and I have told them one problem might be OK if it can be fixed but two problems that they don;t have a solution for seems a bit weird. I told them to give me a new bike and they just said they would solve the problem under warranty. They have two years to fix it and I have a service book that says after ten days of ownership I had all these problems...

BTW, I have only done 400ks and doing a max of 100k but with gentle accelaration

[ This message was edited by: hkt100 on 2006-12-08 01:54 ]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts