Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** Update, removed baffle and love the new sound. Tons less engine breaking now. But the baffle was FULL of carbon build up. See picture. I checked the air box and there was very little fuel in bottom but about 1/3 of the filter was saturated (not wet). I have a new filter on the way. Is this my cause of black smoke? Anything else to check? What causes this fuel/oil to get to the filter? Thanks. I hope the new filter improves performance and MPG while eliminating the smoke. **

Hi guys, I have a 2013 Scrambler and it has one previous owner 9k miles. The previous owner had the arrow 2-1 exhaust installed and I can confirm its be "re-mapped".

When downshifting I know some engine breaking is normal but the bike really seems to surge forward (almost excessive engine breaking).

The best MPG I can seem to get is about 44. Most of the time I am 35-41 (mix of city and suburban). Normal?

When it's cold or just warming up I get some slight black smoke coming out of the exhaust. This might be cause it's cold but I can also sometimes get the smoke after warmup as well. Normal?

Thanks, throwing a lot out there but appreciate the feedback.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Black smoke out of the exhaust indicates that you're running way too rich. A new air filter will help a little, but it looks like the "new map" that was installed is not correct for your setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mike. The Triumph dealership that installed it says it was the right map for the arrow 2-1 so I guess I have to take their word for it unless there is an easy way to check. I am going to put in a fresh new air filter and run some seafoam to see if it improves.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Using TuneECU will show which map is loaded, it's free software you just need to buy the obd2 cable. The standard Arrow later model map is on the rich side and assuming your mpg figures are using American sized gallons it's not far off. I average just under 50 mpg using UK imperial gallons.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same year Scrambler with the Arrow 2:1, remapped per Triumph. While it does run a little rich - the exhaust smell is a bit 'fuelly' - it absolutely does not smoke, nor is the can as sooty as the one in your picture. My vote is, this isn't normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts