Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am taking advantage of the holiday to remove the AI from my 2008 Scrambler. However, what I have doesn't look quite like the other photos I have seen.

I don't have a small vacuum line coming off the front of the reed valve. Also, the large line coming off the rear does not go directly to the airbox. Instead, the large line goes to an electrically controlled valve(?), then to the airbox. In the photo, the reed valve is on the left, viewed from above. The mysterious valve is on the right, an electrical plug goes in where the blue arrow points, and the rubber line to the airbox comes out of the valve where the red arrow points. There is no small vacuum line going to any of this.

Has anyone seen this set up? Help!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If yours is a California bike, doesn't it have the evaporation canister near where swing arm and frame meet? I have a CA Bonneville and took all that off - and some of the tubing under the tank I simply removed without plugging anything - except the carburetor nipples.

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Job's done. The Scrambler runs great! And looks much better too, without the AI pipes to the heads.

Good clarification on the solenoid valve for the CA bike v. 2008. I jumped to a conclusion, it's good info that the valve is on non-CA '08 bikes.

I do have a CA bike, though. You're right, it has the evap canister down low in the frame, in front of the swing arm pivot, along with a bundle of hoses. Yep, that's gonna have to go too....

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm new to this AI stuff, please clarify 4 this thick head of mine.

Do I remove everything from between the air box and the head(s) then plug the hole into the airbox? This is also an '08 scrambler.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up guys... :)

The question I should have asked is will the AI removal work on a FI
'09. Had a brain fart in my prior post... :mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sands: my photo is the AI stuff taken off of a CA bike. It appears that most of the '08 bikes have this electric valve - including those not made for CA. There is definitely more emissions control stuff on the CA bike (evap canister) but this is all there is to the AI assembly.

I don't know the function of the electrically controlled valve - maybe it replaces the reed valve set up on prior models (which had a 12k mile maintenance requirement). I am just a little nervous disconnecting something without really understanding how it works. But it's off there now, I'll keep researching. Does anyone have any ideas on the function of the solenoid valve and the side effects of disconnecting and letting the plug hang?

I need a shop manual that covers the '08 emissions stuff.

roadscum: you may find some interesting reading here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/95766-efi-ai-removal-2.html

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
A/I

Wow! These ai systems syre got funky in the newer years!! Got a box o4 04-07 ai's in the garage, & none look like that! I guess it gets harder & harder to get rid of all that crap as the years go by? My 04 is my last - so who cares rigjht?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts