Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
First I wish Strength and Health to All!

I'm new to the forum and new into Triumph.

I currently own a 1997 Honda Valkyrie that I like a lot, but I was also looking to get a more playful bike but still with a classic look. I FOUND IT: Scrambler 900 (air cooled engine). I like everything about it: the looks, the specs and what owners say about them.

Now I would like to buy one in good shape, and hopefully not abused.

In my search, besides the fact that there are not so may out there for sale, I noticed that the majority are 2014+.
I looked on the forum and I once found a thread form someone looking for a Scrambler with chrome rims (no reason given) meaning EFI 2009-2013 models.
Putting aside the looks of black powdered rims vs chromed, does anyone know of any quality differences between 2009-20013 models and 2014-2017 (2016 last production year)?

On bluing of the original manifold --not about the looks of it (I see a lot of discussion about that)--
Does anyone think that the bluing could tell something about how hard was the bike ridden?

My logic about this:
I've seen a post where someone uploaded a picture with the coloration of the steel exposed to different temperatures. This one:

Now looking at pictures of Scramblers for sale I noticed that the pipe coloration is different on each bike...but pattern is golden (far from cylinder) and than getting closer to cylinder you see purple, blue, light blue than grayish

So my thinking goes that the more grayish color I see closer to the cylinders (after the gold, purple and blue sections) the hotter the exhaust was = hotter engine = hard riding
Does this make sense?...

Thank you all.
Stay strong and sane!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I’m not aware of any particular quality issues over the years but as a general rule, the longer a model has been in production the more bugs have been ironed out. Logic tells me to buy the latest model you can that has all the things your after. It wasn’t just rims that changed from chrome to black - engine cases, handle bar, mirrors also, by the way.

Blueing does differ and some pipes end up a quite unattractive grey. This occurs due to heat and not necessarily is an indication of how the bike has been ridden, so traffic, age, weather conditions can well be factors. The 865 engine is pretty bomb proof and on a bike like the Scrambler, moreso than a Bonneville which has the different crank configuration, is unlikely to have been thrashed around at high revs all the time. The engine is configured for mid range torque rather than top end power.

For what it’s worth, these are the stock pipes I had on my Scrambler before I swapped out for an Arrow. It was a one-off although they did sometimes glow a little at night. After his the chrome was still shiny with virtually no sign of discolouration over several months of spirited riding. May have been different if I’d been stuck in traffic every day, but I don’t know.

03C2AD9B-6353-465B-AB65-68C902A08373.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,278 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site. I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders.

Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in.

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Acceptable Use Policy

Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Classified Ad Rules - Read first before placing Ad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello everyone

I didn't expect such fast replies - thank you for the input, and for the welcoming.

I'm happy to hear again that 865 engines are "pretty bomb proof"
OK, I get it about the bluing, and stuck in traffic is more harmful (no air movement) than the spirited riding
Very nice "glowing" CanberraR3 !

Now I just can't wait to find my Scrambler and to share some pictures
I guess it'll be a while with this virus lock-downs...

Stay strong and sane!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts